Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troy TRX vs. MI SS-Series rails

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just by looking at the picture of the barrel nut and lock nut, it would appear that the MI tube would be at/close to the OD of the YHM tubes without rails.

While the barrel nut for the Troy appears to be a standard nut, it is not. It is proprietary and significantly smaller. I have not used a FF handguard that has a smaller OD than the Troy.

My roommate and I have installed 5 of them, and shaved FSBs down instead of using low pro gas blocks because we prefer to retain the use of taper pins. You have to remove a significant amount (basically all) of the non-essential material for it to fit. I hope that is a sufficient indicator of how slim this tube is.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Just by looking at the picture of the barrel nut and lock nut, it would appear that the MI tube would be at/close to the OD of the YHM tubes without rails.

While the barrel nut for the Troy appears to be a standard nut, it is not. It is proprietary and significantly smaller. I have not used a FF handguard that has a smaller OD than the Troy.

My roommate and I have installed 5 of them, and shaved FSBs down instead of using low pro gas blocks because we prefer to retain the use of taper pins. You have to remove a significant amount (basically all) of the non-essential material for it to fit. I hope that is a sufficient indicator of how slim this tube is.
    Right on. If you're uncomfortable with doing an fsb shave yourself, pm gotm4. He does great work.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Right on. If you're uncomfortable with doing an fsb shave yourself, pm gotm4. He does great work.
    It's really not a big deal. If you've broken the rifle down to that point, you possess the requisite skills to shave the FSB (read: ability to breath, see, and use basic hand tools). I know there was a time when I was leary of grinding away at a part of a gun, but it's more tedious than it is tricky. Just take your time.

I tried to upload a pic of how much meat needs to be removed, but it's not happening right now. Maybe later.

Feedback Score
    I have two TRX rails on a couple of my AR's and I can't tell people enough how good they are. The TRX has a superior locking system to the MI, replacing the conventional barrel nut with a special locking nut that make s the rail practically part of the weapon. Its lightweight and quite comfortable to hold. If you don't mind a little work, taking off your conventional front sight base and replacing it with a low-profile one is not super hard. Or bring it to any good gunsmith and they can do it in a few minutes.
    The opinions expressed on this board are mine and mine alone. They do not represent any departments or organizations I may be a member of.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - ILN, 4/19/30

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - Varied Types

G.K. Chesterton

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Just measured it. The SS-series rail from MI has a 2" outside diameter almost exactly, not counting the top rail of course. Here's an updated photo, now back to centerfire. I need to order their sling attachment for the forend.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Measured the troy. A little less then 1 3/4".
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Anybody using a pinned, low profile gas block for their TRX rails? If so, which one?

I'm planning on using the 13" TRX rails for an 18" SPR'ish build that I'm working on, but I want to definitely use a pinned gas block.

Feedback Score
    I've got the 13" TRX Extreme... its freakin' mint! I bought a Vltor gas block to go under it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    Anybody using a pinned, low profile gas block for their TRX rails? If so, which one?

I'm planning on using the 13" TRX rails for an 18" SPR'ish build that I'm working on, but I want to definitely use a pinned gas block.
    I'm using the FSB that came on my Daniel Defense barrel that I shaved down under my TRX and it worked great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12