Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE problem...

Feedback Score

RE problem...

So I have a milspec RE installed, castle nut staked in 2 places and have even fired a couple of hundred rounds through the carbine without any problems but just now noticed, if I tried, I could turn it by hand just a bit. It stops upon contact with the channel wall though, if at all.
    Leave it be or take it apart, re-torque and re-stake?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally I would re-torque and re-stake.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Personally I would re-torque and re-stake.
    +1 on re-torque and re-stake.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Leaving it is asking for trouble. Torque correctly and restake, you may need a new plate depending.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This could also be due to the width of channel on the underside of
    the RE; the area where the receiver endplate interfaces with the RE.

If too wide either as a result of machining tolerences or from damage during assembly the scenario you describe could occur. I had it happen to me years ago after disassembling a Colt RE that I had previously loctited. The channel in the RE was peened out slightly wider right where it mattered and the RE could then be slightly rotated by hand when reassembled.

Feedback Score
    Ya, the endplate is the reason for my hesitation... I have a few standard ones lying around but the one on at the moment has a side sling mount which I need for next weekend's hunting trip. I guess Im just going to have to put the sling on the stock itself--Better a marred CTR than a ruined RE.
    Been wanting to change to an ASAP anyway, guess I now have a valid reason to get one.
    Thanks guys!

Josh: I doubt it's gone as far as damaging the threads and widening the channel or atleast I hope it hasnt.

Feedback Score
    I'm having the same problem right now, it hasn't been shot yet as I'm building it, but it bugs me. It's an Armalite mil-spec RE and Armalite end plate, but the RE rotates like you describe anyway. I may try to find another end plate.

Feedback Score
    Have you staked it yet? If not then just re-torque within the recommended range. I believe these things generally have just a bit of play for interchangeability between manufacturers but proper torque should prevent it from moving at all and then, ofcourse stake to ensure the castle nut stays in place.
    Oh... and test before staking. Just speaking from experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Have you staked it yet? If not then just re-torque within the recommended range. I believe these things generally have just a bit of play for interchangeability between manufacturers but proper torque should prevent it from moving at all and then, ofcourse stake to ensure the castle nut stays in place.
    Oh... and test before staking. Just speaking from experience.
    Well, we'll be two to be able to speak from experience. LOL Do you recommend anything special on the threads before torquing it tight?
    Last edited by Artiz; 07-02-10 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    Anti-seize if you have any. I personally use the same moly grease I use on my barrel nuts. Regular grease should do fine though as this area doesnt heat up and all youre really doing it trying to prevent the threads from galling.
    The staking will serve as your loctite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast