Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Twist Rate

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I agree with Grant. 1x8 and 1x7 are the only twist rates needed. 1x9 is just useless IMHO.

I like 1x8 for match barrels for maximum velocity with heavy 75-77gr rounds. 1x7 will work with them too but the push a little slower.

1x7 chrome-lined for my training/defensive guns.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    The more twist the more accurate the heavier rounds will be. If you're not sure what you'll be shooting go 1/7, you can shoot pretty much any gr round you desire. 1/9 you're limited at around 62gr.

My current rifle has a 1/9 hbar. But I shoot 62gr and nothing else through it. If I wanted to shoot a match round I wouldn't have much success at accuracy at any kind of range.

So in closing, as everyone has pointed out, 1/7

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_smiles View Post
    The more twist the more accurate the heavier rounds will be.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the length of the round is the determining factor for choosing twist. Yes, longer rounds are heavier, but I believe length is the key factor.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dew4au View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the length of the round is the determining factor for choosing twist. Yes, longer rounds are heavier, but I believe length is the key factor.
    Yes it's a projectile length issue.
    64gr M856 tracer is longer than even 77gr MK262 and thus the 1x7 was needed in the M249/Minimi to stabilize the tracer round.

Feedback Score
    I also agree 1/7 and 1/8. I got a 1/8 and a 1/9. The 1/8 is much better, and eventually the upper with the 1/9 (things bought before knowing any better) will have a new upper with a 1/7 or 1/8.

I will shoot 75 grain TAP for defense. Haven't had to defend myself yet, hopefully never, but the 1/9 does not like it (great for 55-62 grain stuff though.) I keep shooting up my 62 grain stuff and restocking with Hornady 75 grain TAP/Match ammo. Eventually that 1/9 will have to go just because of ammo load. As I get into reloading I will still be using something in the 75 grain range to mimic the match ammo.
    Last edited by kaiservontexas; 05-26-10 at 12:44. Reason: forgot
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dew4au View Post
    Length of the projectile and velocity

Feedback Score
    1-7 .

only way to fly !

my somewhat/mutt/SP-1/clone .... loves hornady 75 grainers,
    a tack driver.

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    1/7 is the only twist anyone needs. everybody has their own theories/thinking on these things, but the fact remains. 1/7s will stabilize 45gr HPs, all the way up to 80gr SMK.
    go with the 1:7

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1x9 is just useless IMHO.
    Would you clarify for me, sir, as a man of significantly more experience than I, what you precisely mean by "useless".

Do you mean "useless" in the sense of "There's nothing a 1/9 can't do that a 1/7 or 1/8 can do just as well, if not better, and those twists support heavier bullet weights therefore when you have a choice, there's no reason to choose 1/9".

Or do you mean "useless" in the sense of "even when using bullets within a 1/9 barrel's usable range (generally believed to be 55 to 69gr IIRC) there is something inherent about the 1/9 twist that compromises accuracy and/or performance".

I ask because I am a member of the "I wound up with a Bushmaster because I got an amazing deal on it and went about fixing most of it's problems, but I'm still tied to this 1/9" barrel" club (long name I know ) and wish to know if I'm as okay with my BM with it's proper bolt, extractor, receiver extension, staking, feedramps and lower parts kit as I believed (accepting that bullet weights over 69gr are inappropriate for my barrel).
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 06-08-10 at 04:32.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    Would you clarify for me, sir, as a man of significantly more experience than I, what you precisely mean by "useless".
    My definition of useless which is the same as Dictionary.coms definition: use·less

–adjective
    1. of no use; not serving the purpose or any purpose; unavailing or futile: It is useless to reason with him.
    2. without useful qualities; of no practical good: a useless person; a useless gadget.

.223 Rem and 5.56mm ammo I currently own:

LC M855 62gr
    Prvi M855 62gr
    Prvi 75gr MATCH
    BH Mk262 Mod 1 77gr
    BH red box 77gr MATCH
    Hornady TAP 75gr
    Hornady TAP 60gr
    LC/Federal M856 tracer
    BH 73gr Berger MATCH
    Fed/American Eagle 55gr FMJ
    Fiocchi 55gr
    PMC Bronze 55gr
    Guatamalan 55gr M192
    Federal XM193
    Prvi 62gr FMJ
    BH 69gr MATCH
    BH 68gr MATCH
    Some kind of Frang, I can't remember who it's made by.

I own 3 SBRs, one 10.5", one 12.5" and one 14.5", two 16" midlength 3 gun rifles. All have either 1x7 or 1x8 twist. All but the two stainless barrelled 1x8 guns are shot suppressed from time to time. One of the 1x8 guns is my 3gun rifle and the other is my wifes Project Featherweight rifle (has perm. installed PWS FSC556 comp to make it a 16" barrel).

IMHO if I can't use all the various types of ammo in the various types of guns I own and shoot them suppressed without worry of a baffle strike then I'd consider the barrel useless. Last year a friend of mine was shooting his 10.5" 1x9 twist SBR with his AAC M4-1000 attached, not paying attention he fired some red box BH 77gr MATCH ammo it in and after a few rounds had a nice hole is the side of his suppressors end baffle and his rifle got a hole lot 'louder'. So he ended up having to get a replacement suppressor, AAC sold it to him for half of retail and he had to pay a new $200 tax on the new suppressor (new serial number). So he made roughly a $500 and a few months of NFA paperwork because he wasn't paying attention because he had a useless barrel.

With all my ammo in all my guns I know for damn sure than any of the guns I have can and will stabilize any ammo be it .223 Rem or 5.56mm NATO ammo which is made that will fit into the magazines.

But the better question is why 1x9?
    In theory it's more accurate than 1x7 when using 50gr to about 69gr which is true for the long range stuff at Camp Perry this was true 15-20yrs ago when people used 68gr and 69gr a lot and used 1x9 twist barrels. But then came 73gr Bergers, 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierra Matchkings and out came 1x7 and 1x8 twist barrels it does so well there that it dominates Hi-power rifle even kicking the asses of .308 and .30-06 in service rifle.

But here in the real world not the theory world I've seen many a 1x7 chrome lined barrel out shoot 1x9 barrels more than a few times. My BCM hammer forged (BFH) 14.5" chrome lined midlength shoots well under 1" using BH 77gr MATCH, BH Mk262 Mod 1 and Prvi 75gr match as well as BH 68gr Hornady and BH 69gr Sierra Matchkings. With PMC 55gr it's shooting .58" 5 shot groups at 100yds.

Summary: If I can't take any of my ammo and shoot it at 200, 300, 400 or 500yds and know damn sure it'll stabilize the bullet and it'll actually fly true out to those distances or that I load up a magazine with any ammo I have on hand and shoot my SBRs with an attached sound suppressor and fire away and not have to worry about baffle strikes....If I can't do either of those things because the twist rate isn't fast enough in my barrel then that barrel is useless.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast