Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VLTOR MUR Assembly?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I spoke with Kino at Vltor.
    Very down-to-earth, polite, knowledgeable, and honest individual.

I'm on-board with the MUR after hearing the facts about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I spoke with Kino at Vltor.
    Very down-to-earth, polite, knowledgeable, and honest individual.

I'm on-board with the MUR after hearing the facts about it.
    Yep. Once you get the facts on the MUR, you can't help but want one.

When I first saw it... I thought it was just another upper that was marketed for the something to look cool/custom crowd.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. Once you get the facts on the MUR, you can't help but want one.

When I first saw it... I thought it was just another upper that was marketed for the something to look cool/custom crowd.
    My only reservation was the removable FA assembly. However, based on the "failure rates" Kino discussed with me, it's a non-issue. Much more likely for the gas-key to come un-staked or whatever else. Definitely not the weak-link.

Am planning to buy a Noveske, or build an A4 clone soon. Not sure which. If I go Noveske, here is what I want + Ta11F-G, FUG, and maybe an M300:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=
    Last edited by WS6; 08-03-11 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Sample size of 1... (well technically 3 I guess...)

I have a MUR 1A, purchased directly from VLTOR's webstore.

After about 60 rounds, the whole FA/Deflector assembly fell off. I was about 5 rounds into the magazine, after a quick inspection of what flew off(rolled gun over, missing assembly, nothing interfering with BCG), I finished off the mag. There was no catastrophic failure, the gun will still run perfectly fine.

The culprit was the roll pin was never fully installed from the factory(it was still captive, didn't loose it). I installed it properly, and all is well. Needless to say I then inspected my Noveske upper and my VIS3 upper, both roll pins were installed properly.

I figure it was a Friday when my upper was finished & packaged.

All that said, if I were in the market for a new upper, VLTOR would still be the first place I looked.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 08-03-11 at 11:06.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post

After about 60 rounds, the whole FA/Deflector assembly fell off. I was about 5 rounds into the magazine, after a quick inspection of what flew off(rolled gun over, missing assembly, nothing interfering with BCG), I finished off the mag. There was no catastrophic failure, the gun will still run perfectly fine.

The culprit was the roll pin was never fully installed from the factory(it was still captive, didn't loose it). I installed it properly, and all is well. Needless to say I then inspected my Noveske upper and my VIS3 upper, both roll pins were installed properly.

All that said, if I were in the market for a new upper, VLTOR would still be the first place I looked.
    Are all 3 FA's now 100% solid and wiggle-free?

It also begs the question...what if the pin walks out the other way? It would lock up the BCG and render the weapon useless until it was cleared.
    Last edited by WS6; 08-03-11 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Are you saying that this happened with 3 different MUR's?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I'm tempted to replace my stripped factory KAC uppers with VLTOR MUR uppers, to see if I can reduce POI shift with a suppressor, true the barrel extension point for more accuracy, and maybe get some heat sink properties with it.

It sounds like a worthy endeavor. After my optic problem is solved...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I'm tempted to replace my stripped factory KAC uppers with VLTOR MUR uppers, to see if I can reduce POI shift with a suppressor, true the barrel extension point for more accuracy, and maybe get some heat sink properties with it.

It sounds like a worthy endeavor. After my optic problem is solved...
    LaRue talks about their rails/barrel nuts having heat-sinking "features" or something. However, I would think SWS rails with their much larger steel nuts would be the best thing out there for heat-sinking in the throat area.

I also find it hard to read the above without cracking a smile.

My only concern with the MUR upper I guess remains the pin walking out, but I am more concerned about it walking IN and binding up the BCG. E-mailed Vltor about it, will see if it has ever happened. They say they have "tens of thousands" of MUR's out there. Accurate?
    Last edited by WS6; 08-04-11 at 06:11.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Are all 3 FA's now 100% solid and wiggle-free?

It also begs the question...what if the pin walks out the other way? It would lock up the BCG and render the weapon useless until it was cleared.
    Sorry for the murky language. I have 2 MUR's and 1 VIS
    One of my MUR's is a Noveske built upper, Never any problems.
    My VIS, Never any problems.
    The other MUR, bought bare from VLTOR, was the problem.
    Pin was never installed all the way, I fixed that and all is well.

As for the pin walking, I can't see that happening if the correct pin is correctly installed.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 08-04-11 at 09:10.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sorry for the murky language. I have 2 MUR's and 1 VIS
    One of my MUR's is a Noveske built upper, Never any problems.
    My VIS, Never any problems.
    The other MUR, bought bare from VLTOR, was the problem.
    Pin was never installed all the way, I fixed that and all is well.

As for the pin walking, I can't see that happening if the correct pin is correctly installed.
    Thank-you!

I am curious however, how you can tell that the pin was not correctly installed (as opposed to just walking out even though it were installed correctly) after the fact?
    Is the FA assembly indeed a light interference-fit piece? Now that you have hammered the pin back in, is it 100% wiggle-free, or is there a few thousandths play that can be felt?
    Last edited by WS6; 08-04-11 at 12:13.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast