Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: VA or make that NoVA!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    If you havent already,join the va gun owners forum,lots of good info there.welcome to va
    The subsection on here or another forum altogether? I assume the latter lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    My daughter and her husband have a shop in the Pentagon Mall and she is on the verge of making me a grandfather. So my new footprint for the USA is Falls Church.

Next trip back to the USA, I want to look for a place in the country but still close to Falls Church.

As part of a family with southern heritage, I love the history.

NRA museum was fun to go to, but it didn't blow my socks off like the military museum in Istanbul did.
    We looked at falls Church and Fairfax specifically and we really liked the area but from what people said the commute can be rough?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My commute consist of getting to Reagan at 0500 for a 0700 flight. Then 6 hours later 75 minute drive to the Plantation. But I only do it once ever 4 weeks or so then stay in VA for 10 days to 3 weeks.

I have a question what is with the NOVA name. If I remember Lee commanded the army of Norther Virgina, so it must be an old title.

To me though at first it sounded like a bunch of northern transplants wanting to separate themselves from the south.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

To me though at first it sounded like a bunch of northern transplants wanting to separate themselves from the south.
    Actually, it is a bunch of Virginians trying to separate themselves from northern transplants.

Feedback Score
    Well I fit that was born and raised in Seattle, but the family traces back to the south and was very well off prior to the war and the carpetbagers that came after the war.

I did live in southern Israel

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quick update. We settled on a place in Kingstowne. I liked a couple of places in Arlington near Shirlington but holy hell, after first month's rent plus security deposit (1 month rent), and then 750$ pet deposit it was over 5k up front before even moving in. The commute would have been great but oh well such is life. Thanks to those who offered insight though. Move in is in a few weeks yet.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Quick update. We settled on a place in Kingstowne. I liked a couple of places in Arlington near Shirlington but holy hell, after first month's rent plus security deposit (1 month rent), and then 750$ pet deposit it was over 5k up front before even moving in. The commute would have been great but oh well such is life. Thanks to those who offered insight though. Move in is in a few weeks yet.

Seems like a nice area based off the few times I've been there, congrats. Enjoy VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here's my $.02:

Commute time directly correlates with rent. Even if you lived in Arlington, depending on where you work, it would still be a 40 minute drive.

When We lived in DC, I would usually walk and take take the bus; even when I did drive it would take 15-20 minutes to get the 3 miles from my apt to my job.

Unless you have to drive, you might want to look into metro (train or bus). Unless your job is paying for parking, you're looking at $250 a month in parking. I work in the golden triangle, and the cheapest garage I found is $11 per day before 10am. It's much worse if you're closer to the mall.

Currently, we live in Woodbridge. Yeah, it's further out, but costs are a lot lower and I'm within 30 minutes of 3 great gun stores. With HOV lanes, it takes us about 45 minutes to get into the city.

If you had specific questions, feel free to PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Hello all, new to NoVA but not new to the forum. Moved from Ohio (WPAFB) to the area, Lorton to be specific and working at the 5-sided puzzle palace. Always lurking on the forums, reading and trying to absorb as much as I can. I do have a question, can anyone recommend any good gunsmiths in the area? I have some projects that I'd like to get worked on but not sure where to head. Thanks in advance.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    Hello all, new to NoVA but not new to the forum. Moved from Ohio (WPAFB) to the area, Lorton to be specific and working at the 5-sided puzzle palace. Always lurking on the forums, reading and trying to absorb as much as I can. I do have a question, can anyone recommend any good gunsmiths in the area? I have some projects that I'd like to get worked on but not sure where to head. Thanks in advance.
    I think Northern Virginia Gun works gets high marks. I haven't used them but I remember their name coming up on the forum. Not far from you either.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    Jim Carollo at Specdive tactical in Alexandria is excellent. I really have not run into a request that he has not done before. He can build you anything you want. Does excellent AK work. He works on and builds custom 1911s. Will do RMR cut out on Glocks along with polymer stippling. He does barrel cut downs, threads and pin and welds. He has a full cerakote paint shop and oven along with a mill and lathe. He a has a ton of 3 letter agency work in the area and sees everything.

He has built me a custom AK with side folder, and a few custom SBRs. He has custom built me a magpul AK handguard to fit my M85 Pap along with a custom Ultimak. Threads all my barrels for muzzle brakes and cans. He also does full custom barrels from blanks and will do custom gas ports for you. He just finished a new magwell for my TRP (needs cerakote):

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast