Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Viking Tactics 1.5 Pistol (21-24 May) in Kathleen, FL

Feedback Score

Thumbs up AAR: Viking Tactics 1.5 Pistol (21-24 May) in Kathleen, FL

Just finished up the Viking Tactics 1.5 Pistol Course at www.southernexposuretraining.com yesterday. The conditions were mostly clear sky's, temp in the low 90s, and thank God for a good breeze for most of the class. Class weapons were mostly Glocks, M&Ps, a few 1911s and one XD.

TD1: Started with an introductory of the instructors (CSM (Ret) Kyle Lamb and his AI, Dan, who is a Active Duty SF Soldier and Instructor at the school house for CQB), A Safety briefing was conducted, then went right into accuracy drills to practice the fundamentals with two handed (20 yards), strong side only (10 yards) and support side only (7 yards). Shooting 10 rounds each, at your own pace, then ran the drill two more times, timed, with each time being reduced, the closer you got to the targets. We moved on to break the class in half, 12 with Kyle Lamb and 12 with Dan, to work various timed and rapid fire drills, emphasizing on "A" and "B" zone hits two handed, then shooting steel with the other instructor. The standards quickly shrank to "A" zone hits only for the remainder of the course. The Free Style drill was interesting because you had to shoot as fast as you possibly could, with as many rounds as possible, and as accurately as possible in 7.5 seconds, two handed, then strong, and support side only. We ended the day shooting 6 steel plates for speed and accuracy. I was a little worried if I had brought enough ammo since we went through 700 rounds that day of the 1800 round required for the course. I brought 2K with me and ran to Walmart that evening to get 300 more, just in case.

TD2: Q&A, followed by a safety briefing, then more drills to practice the fundamentals, followed by various prone, kneeling and sitting positions shooting steel from 25 yards, covering two handed, strong and support side manipulations and shooting around and through each barricade side and slot a few times, before performing the drill again, this time in relays, doing the same, except when finished, you ran to the next two barricades to perform the same, practicing all the covered shooting positions, both strong and support side. We moved on to various multiple target drills, running the drills twice for practice, then under the timer for score. The class was broken down into two groups where one performed the "High Smith" drill, while the other performed the "Zig Zag" drill, twice for practice, then the 3rd time for record.

Zig Zag Drill: Goal, move down the left side shoot the left side steel 3 times, traverse across shooting 2 rounds to the 3 steel targets in the middle, run up the cones, do a 180, then down the other side of the cones, shooting the end steel 3 times, then traverse across again, engaging the 3 center targets with two rounds, as fast and as accurately as you can, with a mag change.

High Smith Drill: Goal is to shoot 2 rounds around the barricade, then move to other barricade while shooting the three targets in the middle with 2 rounds, mag change behind the other barricade, shoot the 3 targets in the "A"Zone, then do the same going the other way, as fast and as accurately as you can.

TD3: Q&A, safety briefing, then on to shooting steel from the prone position from 25, 50 and 100 yards. Then running it again from a modded kneeling position, then standing. I was quite surprised at how accurate you can shoot from the 50 (pretty easy) and 100 yard line (obviously being the most difficult. With practice and proper fundamentals usage, you can consistently ring the steel, even with a 1911). In the afternoon, one group performed the "Tri-Lambda" drill (another favorite), under the timer. Then finished off with the "Zombie" drill, using three skeleton VTAC targets with 3 target boxes (head, chest, pelvis), which was another one of my favorites. The goal was to shoot the center target 3 times to the chest, one to the head, the one to the pelvis, your choice, then the right, then left target, under the timer, for practice, then for score.

Kyle testing his speed on the Tri-Lambda, where you shoot the center targets, mag change, then the right targets, mag change, then the left targets. 2 rounds in the "A" zone on all targets is the goal. Outside the "A" zone or shoot the hostage, you get Nada.

On TD2, one student had an issue with his G19, when pressing down on the barricade with the dust cover, you would hear an audible "click" but the weapon would not fire. He was able to demonstrate this several times. When Kyle disassembled the weapon to clear, remove and inspect the round, there was no firing pin mark on the primer.

This advance pistol course was outstanding, and was my second class with Viking Tactics. Kyle and Dan's knowledge, humor and laid back attitude, coupled with the ability to answer any question, no matter how bazaar, was key to understanding various scenarios as to the "whys" in which you could employ the weapon, while shooting accurately. Every drill incorporated one mandatory magazine change, with some, experiencing several more. Accuracy and speed was emphasized and demanded at every level. The student could not finish the drill until all required hits were made, no matter how many mag changes you had to make. I will definitely add this course to my annual training schedule and look forward to VTAC's Street Fighter's course. We also got to look at the prototype for the VTAC pistol, which Kyle was using. It's a good look weapon up close and the sights are not as busy as initially thought of.

Overall, the class was great with many familiar faces in the class. Great sense of humor all around, with Irv's being the sickest, as usual. The range is very manicured and is always a pleasure to train there. Irv has made a few changes to the layout, as well as a shoot house under construction. Irv always has different kinds of training going from pistol, carbine, AK, shotgun, and lady's only classes. If you haven't trained at southern exposure training, get on the mailing list and check it out. They have always provided a great training experience.

Pics to follow.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 05-24-10 at 19:54.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Nice write up, I need to get out to one of these!
    I would like to check out the range also, I've been spying the 3 gun stuff. How long a drive is it for us Tampa folks, it looks like its past the Orlando airport correct?
    Last edited by CENTCOM_Survivor; 05-24-10 at 12:46.
    As required: "I work for ITS Tactical as an editor".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CENTCOM_Survivor View Post
    Nice write up, I need to get out to one of these!
    I would like to check out the range also, I've been spying the 3 gun stuff. How long a drive is it for us Tampa folks, it looks like its past the Orlando airport correct?
    Kathleen, FL is about 9 miles north of Lakeland on Hwy 98, then a left, right and another right on a parallel road. About an hour from Tampa, and 1.5 hours from the Clearwater area. Click on the southern exposure link.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 05-24-10 at 16:30.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Pics are up.

Feedback Score
    Hi Roger

Thanks for the kind words about the range but me being sick???? WTF LOL

Certainly Kyle is an outstanding trainer to rival the best of them, I am very fortunate to have formed a partnership with him returning to Southern (two times next year). I had often wondered where the next cadre of instructors was going to come from after Clint, Awerbuck, Cain, Rogers, Jeans, Furr, Reitz, Mudgett, ect retired. I am convinced that Kyle will lead the new group and establish himself as the guy everyone wants to take training from. I suggest ALL take a class from him (you'll take more) whether it is at Southern Exposure or elsewhere. Try to get him to bring Dan as his AI, the dude is awesome, can shoot with the best of them and can eat a building.

We had 24 students is this class and all were safe and really good shooters which made the class just move along at a quick pace. After TD 2 all were dirty and tired but they came back for more punishment on Sunday. By most counts the round count was right at 1800. I know I had a great time watching the shooters improve from TD1 and the top shooter was Ben S. who quietly shot his way to the top. Ben is a very quite and nice guy who does great work on Glock grip reductions (the best in my opinion). www.boresightsolutions.com

Most of the guys have already requested a slot in the Carbine 1.5 in 2011 so they can take the Streetfighter and Nightfighter course further down the road.

Thanks again Roger.

be safe irv

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Hi Roger

Thanks for the kind words about the range but me being sick???? WTF LOL

Certainly Kyle is an outstanding trainer to rival the best of them, I am very fortunate to have formed a partnership with him returning to Southern (two times next year). I had often wondered where the next cadre of instructors was going to come from after Clint, Awerbuck, Cain, Rogers, Jeans, Furr, Reitz, Mudgett, ect retired. I am convinced that Kyle will lead the new group and establish himself as the guy everyone wants to take training from. I suggest ALL take a class from him (you'll take more) whether it is at Southern Exposure or elsewhere. Try to get him to bring Dan as his AI, the dude is awesome, can shoot with the best of them and can eat a building.

We had 24 students is this class and all were safe and really good shooters which made the class just move along at a quick pace. After TD 2 all were dirty and tired but they came back for more punishment on Sunday. By most counts the round count was right at 1800. I know I had a great time watching the shooters improve from TD1 and the top shooter was Ben S. who quietly shot his way to the top. Ben is a very quite and nice guy who does great work on Glock grip reductions (the best in my opinion). www.boresightsolutions.com

Most of the guys have already requested a slot in the Carbine 1.5 in 2011 so they can take the Streetfighter and Nightfighter course further down the road.

Thanks again Roger.

be safe irv
    Hey Irv, you can add me to the 1.5 Carbine again for next year as well. As you say, there is always something else to pick up the second time around.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are wrong about the 9mm Glock 19 malfunctioning. It was a .45 Glock 21.

I did see a couple NON-stock Glock's in 9mm malfunction. It just reinforces my belief to leave a FIGHTING gun alone and not change all theinternals for faster lighter, blah blah blah.

I shot Dan's and Ben S. M and P 9mm they both felt very good in the hand due to Bore Sight Solutions frame work.

It was nice to meet you, sorry we did not meet up at the restaurant.
    Jack
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Hi Roger

As you say, there is always something else to pick up the second time around.
    There is so much info offered in a three day class than NO ONE and retain it all 100%. IMO a student is lucky if he retains 60% which is why I personally will take a class 2 or 3 times and I suggest that to all students.

Roger send me an email requesting a slot so I have a record. Thanks.

Jack - I agree 100% that the Glock should be left stock. I haven't been a current armorer since 1980s but I saw very few problems with stock Glocks. Most Glocks that had aftermarket parts were a problem in time and I could not give the guys free parts if I didn't have a stock part to return.

Thanks for trying on Jose's Glock.

be safe irv

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackinfl View Post
    You are wrong about the 9mm Glock 19 malfunctioning. It was a .45 Glock 21.

I did see a couple NON-stock Glock's in 9mm malfunction. It just reinforces my belief to leave a FIGHTING gun alone and not change all theinternals for faster lighter, blah blah blah.

I shot Dan's and Ben S. M and P 9mm they both felt very good in the hand due to Bore Sight Solutions frame work.

It was nice to meet you, sorry we did not meet up at the restaurant.
    Jack
    Thought it was a G19, I stand corrected. I was nice meeting you too Jack.

Feedback Score
    Nice AAR, Roger. You have a knack for picking up the details...I sort of live for the moment and don't remember those things.

It was a great course. Several times throughout the three days, I noticed that my internal lightbulb flickered on, albeit feebly, like a firefly in the fog. One thing that really clicked for me was finally figuring out how to shoot, move quickly, and make solid hits on my target at the same time. As much as I train, that's something I've always struggled with, but Kyle and Dan homed in on what I was doing wrong, and rode me like a stolen bicycle until I got it right.

The VTAC instructors are undeniably talented and skillful dudes, with a wealth of firsthand experience to back it up, but what's more important is that they can articulate the lessons in a manner that everyone can understand and put into practice.

I also really enjoy training at Southern Exposure. Irv and Watfa run a tight ship, and there are no unpleasant surprises for the instructors or students. Really, all a student has to do is show up ready to train, because all the other logistic details and course organization are nailed down. That range is a gem for those of us in FL, but the fact many students travel considerable distances to get there is testament to how well the range is run, and the quality of the instructors that Irv brings in.

I like the fact that Irv vets not only the instructors, but also the students, so that I don't have to worry about the safety standards (or lack thereof) of the guys to the right and left of me, or that I'm wasting my $$ on an instructor of dubious credentials / skills. And getting to know so many of the students, and seeing them over and over in various courses, makes for some good times off-range at the local watering holes.
    Last edited by Gentle Ben; 05-26-10 at 08:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast