Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hrm... M&P 15-22, dedicated upper or CMMG conversion?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)

Hrm... M&P 15-22, dedicated upper or CMMG conversion?

Hrmmm... I can't decide. I was suppose to pick up a used M&P 15-22 when I got paid the other day but the guy who was suppose to "hold" it for me bitched out for an offer of $20 dollars more after agreeing to hold it for me for a couple days.

I hit my local gun shop and the ONLY M&P 15-22's they had where the straight non-flash hider versions, I for sure want the A2 birdcage.

Now thinking, should wait on that or maybe just get a CMMG conversion or build a dedicated lower.

The CMMG stainless conversion is by far the cheapest option at $159.00 with one magazine but it would be nothing for me to put 500+ rounds threw the gun in one range session so I don't know if I want to put that much .22LR threw my standard AR upper. Don't know what affects it can have on over time.

What are the advantages and disadvantaged to each options?

Thoughts?

What I liked about the M&P 15-22 was I could Airsoft (China special) it out with cheap parts for the tacti-cool look and the stuff would all hold up to .22LR. Don't need quality parts for a .22LR weekend plinker.

Gotta figure something out, I haven't been able to afford to shoot my AR's in months. I got tons of 5.56 but the stuffs like shooting gold so I tend to only fire 20~30 rounds per range session.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 05-24-10 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    I have a CMMG kit and works good hitting the 100yard plate. Still breaking it in. After shooting it I shoot a mag of 5.56
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Are there any issues shooting .22LR threw an upper you normally keep for a defensive upper?

Do they fowl out out 5.56 uppers? How does .22LR wear on a barrel? I could put 20~25,000 rounds threw easy in a year.

Feedback Score
    More .22 LR barrels are worn out by cleaning than they are by shooting. In general, .22 LR bullets are soft lead and lubricated. The rounds are slow moving and there is very little powder charge to drive the bullets, so barrel erosion isn't a problem. Run a bore snake thru the barrel every 500 rounds or so when you are shooting .22s, clean the powder fouling out of the FCG and fire a round or 2 of 5.56 and you should be good to go. A conversion should work out fine for you.

If you're still concerned about your upper, consider buying a good quality dedicated .22 LR upper from Tactical Solutions or Spikes. Nordic Components is also coming out with one any day, and CMMG is releasing an improved version of their dedicated .22 upper in July. That way you can practice with the same lower, trigger, etc. as your 5.56 and swap them out in a few seconds. It's the most expensive of the 3 solutions, but it is a good one.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I know the wear concern is less with a .22lr conversion in the same HD upper, but the cleaning would bother me. I think for the price of an upper or M&P 15-22, you cant argue if it is indeed a defensive gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    ............, but the cleaning would bother me.
    What bothers you about it? All you have to do is what man43 said:

Quote Originally Posted by rman43 View Post
    Run a bore snake thru the barrel every 500 rounds or so when you are shooting .22s, clean the powder fouling out of the FCG and fire a round or 2 of 5.56 and you should be good to go. A conversion should work out fine for you.
    I shoot Federal #750 bulk pack in my CMMG conversion. And I usually shoot a full pack (550 rounds) each time I go out. I finish up with a few rounds of 5.56 and my rifle just isn't so dirty that a wipe down and a bore snake won't do it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Cmmg has run flawlessly. I used it in 3 different AR's a couple days ago.
    After shooting .22 I run a boresnake through the barrel while it's warm. Drop the 5.56 B/C/ in and fire 5 rounds of 5.56.
    When I get home, I give it a proper cleaning.
    I also only use copper washed ammo. It tends to leave less lead and crud.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    How does the CMMG kit compare to the older Ceiners?

I used one (Ceiner) once and it mucked up my chamber and FCG so bad, I quit shooting it after a few hundred rounds. I've heard the CMMG kits are better but no mention of the crud dumped into the gun.

I went with the M&P, it gets cleaned with a bore snake and a rag about every 500 rounds. I had to send it off to S&W for the blue springs but now it works flawlessly. Pretty accurate and very easy to shoot. I have no regrets.
    Last edited by TWR; 05-29-10 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    That is a hard decision - it really all depends on what you want to do with the .22 version.

Conversion Unit:
    Pros:
    Least expensive alternative
    Maintains the same weight and balance as your 5.56
    Allows you to use the sights, fire control group and any other accessories you use with your 5.56
    Provides good plinking accuracy and loads of fun
    Cons:
    Least accurate choice (but still good for plinking)

M&P 15-22:
    Pros:
    Gives you another whole gun to shoot
    Somewhat cheaper than a dedicated upper
    All controls including the bolt release function like a regular AR
    Allows you to install AR 15 rails, sights and other accessories, including the FCG
    Does not dirty up your 5.56 lower when shooting .22s
    Most owners report good accuracy
    Cons:
    Has some polymer parts - you be the judge if that is undesireable
    Weight and balance are significantly different from an all-metal AR

Dedicated Upper:
    Pros:
    Allows you to use sights, fire control group and any other accessories made for AR 15s
    Usually the most accurate choice
    Maintains the same weight and balance of an all-metal AR
    Cons:
    Most expensive choice
    Requires you to buy new iron sights or optics, or requires you to switch them out from your 5.56
    Bolt release is non-functioning (Except that CMMG is coming out with a new version that functions normally. They are also coming out with parts that will work with other .22 uppers that will make them functional.)

You have to decide which works out best for you. I chose a Tactical Solutions M4 dedicated upper. (And then I bought a LT version too.) I'm very happy with both uppers - they are accurate, reliable and are so much fun they should be illegal.
    Last edited by rman43; 06-14-10 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How is the accuracy and range of the m&p15-22 compared to a dedicated upper? Will it be accurate at 100 yard shots?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast