Thread: Bravo Company MK12 SPR Mod 3X-Bravo short review.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up Bravo Company MK12 SPR Mod 3X-Bravo short review.

After looking for more than a year I ordered a BCM MK12 upper Bravo Company last Wednesday afternoon and had it Monday morning.

This is a BCM Mk 12 Mod 3X-Bravo (DD14) with BCM auto BCG, BCM sights, standard charging handle, A2 flash hider.

* Daniel Defense 14" LITE Rail
    * BCM SS410 18" Stainless Barrel, Ionbond Black DLC
    * Rifle Length Gas System
    * Pined Gas Block
    * BCM Bolt Carrier Group (HPT/MPI), auto
    * Standard BCM Charging Handle
    * M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
    * M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
    * T-Marked Upper Receivers
    * 1/8 Twist Rates
    * 5.56 NATO Chamber
    * 410 Stainless Steel
    * HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
    * MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

I mounted this on my LMT match 2 stage lower, with Magpul UBR stock and MOE grip.

Here is the BCM MK12 SPR with the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm from my bolt action until I pluck up the courage to get a new Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40mm

BCM Mk 12 SPR 18" barrel with 14" Daniel Defense Lite rail

When I received this upper I went over it with a fine tooth comb, this was absolutely perfect not a finish mark or scratch at all. Even the BCM/Troy sights screw heads were perfect. I have never seen an upper this cosmetically clean. The gas block was perfectly centered inside the DD Lite rail and the flash hider is timed perfectly. Great job guys!

Well it sure looks good, but how does it shoot? After shooting it on Sunday to get it on paper at 50 yards I took some time out today for some recoil therapy and took the BCM SPR back to the yard range to attempt some 100 yard groups. I have to say I really don't know what the USMC SAM-R Chamber is but it ****in' works!

It was a really windy day here in Colorado and the wind was so bad while it was moving my target stand around, it was also actually moving me! However, I would try to time my shots in the lulls in the wind I managed to shoot six good 5 shot groups, three of which were true sub MOA groups I was using Black Hills red box 77gr SMK load and Fiocchi's Exacta 77gr SMK. The other three groups I would manage to time the wind and get 3 or 4 rounds touching and then the wind would pick up and I would have 1 or 2 fliers.

I will try again when the wind lets up a little and move out to 200yards to get a good handle on performance with loads from 45-77grs. So far I have shot 50, 55 and 77 grain loads all with excellent results.

I am very, very happy with the BCM upper. Truly excellent fit and finish in the build, and a fantastic barrel!!

I have bought LMT uppers, Daniel Defense rails, and BCGs and a ton of small parts from BCM before but this was the first complete upper and I am extremely pleased, and it wont be my last!

Thanks guys I really enjoy investing my money with a company that so obviously takes such pride in their products and reputation.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-26-10 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-26-10 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice looking gun, but why do they call it a MK12? No offense to you or to BCM, but that ain't no MK12, imo. Wrong rail, wrong rail length, wrong muzzle device, no Ops Inc suppressor collar, wrong barrel twist, doesn't have the tapered bore of the real MK12, or the special MK12 chamber designed specifically for the Mk262 ammo and wrong front and rear BUIS and wrong scope. Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by rljatl; 05-25-10 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me quote Paul, the owner of Bravo Company:
    Hi Cameron,
    Great choice on uppers. I am a big fan of the X versions that cover the gas block.
    If the SPR program was being spec’d today, it would include that. Enjoy the new blaster!
    This is a modern version of the MK12 SPR, I had absolutely no intention of making a retro MK12 clone, this is a updated MK12 that, as Paul said, is how they should be made today.

Something like the same concept behind my MK18, I also bought this upper and rail from Bravo Company, excellent service then too.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-25-10 at 22:14.

Quote Originally Posted by rljatl View Post
    Nice looking gun, but why do they call it a MK12? No offense to you or to BCM, but that ain't no MK12, imo. Wrong rail, wrong rail length, wrong muzzle device, no Ops Inc suppressor collar, wrong barrel twist, doesn't have the tapered bore of the real MK12, or the special MK12 chamber designed specifically for the Mk262 ammo and wrong front and rear BUIS and wrong scope. Did I miss anything?

We don't call it a "Mk12". We call it a "BCM Mk12 Mod 3X".
    BCM means it is our version of rifle to fit the Mk12 roll.
    Mod 3 means its the 4th version (Uncle Sam has 2).
    The X means its the extended rail version of the BCM Mk12 Mod3, featuring the DD14 rail.
    (I would bet if the Mk12 Mod 1+ was built designed today, it would have a rail long enough to cover a gas block. Exposed gas blocks are a liability. ) There is still enough room to run the Ops 12th model.
    Yes, it is contoured for the Ops 12 brake/collar. No its not standard, as its $200 and is uselss if the customer is running a NT4, Halo, or Surefire. But we do offer supressor mounts as part of our BCM Mk12 program.

Thanks!

PS: Nice set up Cameron. And thanks for your business!!

For the Worlds Best Gunfighter Training
    Please visit http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gunfighters

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

PS: BCM SAM-R Uppers are in the works . . .

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoCompanyUSA View Post

PS: Nice set up Cameron. And thanks for your business!!
    Thank you mate! It is a tack driver, I will get some groups posted.

PS: BCM SAM-R Uppers are in the works . . .
    You're killing me!

Cameron

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got ya. Makes sense now.

(I would bet if the Mk12 Mod 1+ was built designed today, it would have a rail long enough to cover a gas block. Exposed gas blocks are a liability. )
    Maybe, but, I wouldn't be so sure of that. For example, KAC's most recent rifles, including the new SR25 EMC 7.62, still do not cover the gas block.
    Last edited by rljatl; 05-25-10 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ...I wouldn't be so sure of that. For example, KAC's most recent rifles, including the new SR25 EMC 7.62, still do not cover the gas block.
    Makes ya think doesn't it.

Cam

Got ya. Makes sense now.

Maybe, but, I wouldn't be so sure of that. For example, KAC's most recent rifles, including the new SR25 EMC 7.62, still do not cover the gas block.
    It's a hyopthetical on the Mk12, but theres no reason to purposely expose it, unless there is a reason in the design (as in KAC)
    If I was building the SR25s, I would not change the way KAC does it.
    To cover a gas block would require a complete redesign of a significant number of parts.
    The current gas blocks are not low profile, so they would have to be redesigned.
    Current gas blocks are integral to the supressor mounting, so all the supressors would have to be redesigned.
    The mechanical method of attaching the supressor would have to be redesigned.
    The current rails would have to be made longer.
    The current integral folding front sight would most likely also have to be redesgined as it may end up sitting directly over any covered gas block and current designs won't fit most.
    And maybe a host of other redesigns to make a low profile install on a URX easier for regular production.

Not worth the trade off, in my opinion.

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am really on the fence about one of these or a 16" Recce.

Whats the advantage of the 14" DD over the Larue 13.2"? Seems like the 13.2" leaves the gas block sticking out a hair.
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by bgoode View Post
    I am really on the fence about one of these or a 16" Recce.

Whats the advantage of the 14" DD over the Larue 13.2"? Seems like the 13.2" leaves the gas block sticking out a hair.
    Really just personal preference. Both are excellent products. Both provide the same extended type set up. I would guesstimate weight is identical as well.

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply!!!
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the interesting info. I agree that a current state of the art redesign of the Mk12 would probably use different components. But then it would probably get a different designation. Not sure how much practical difference it would make though...
    Last edited by rljatl; 05-26-10 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    Very Nice !

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by FishingFool; 10-23-12 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    You can pin exposed gas blocks, and stake set screws (Centurion Arms does this).

With that said I've not really heard of very many issues with exposed gas blocks that are not pinned so long as they are properly fit, dimple on the barrel, thread locker, etc. Seems like most of the people who have gas block problems are using two piece set screw style gas blocks or don't properly install one piece units.

Can't really go wrong either way, though....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    BCM: can you address the benifit of using an alternate twist rate compared to the mk12?
    I'm considering swapping out my 16" middy medium profile CL bcm barrel for an 18" spr barrel.... any thoughts on what kind of difference i would actually see?