Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Trainer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Michigan Trainer?

Anyone attend any of the carbine courses at Michigan Trainer? Their website is michigantrainer.com

A buddy sent me the link and is registered for a handgun class there next month. I took a tactical handgun class at a local range, and it was pretty crummy so I wanna make sure I find a good Carbine class. Just curious if anyone has attended these classes.

The instructor is named Steve Fisher. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Steve & Tom and the rest of his crew do a great job. I suggest taking his Y.S.I.N.T.G (You Suck It's Not The Gun) class before moving on to the more advanced/tactical classes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Steve & Tom and the rest of his crew do a great job. I suggest taking his Y.S.I.N.T.G (You Suck It's Not The Gun) class before moving on to the more advanced/tactical classes.
    They got it split as handgun 1/2/3 and carbine 1/2 along with some offshoots like "winter concealed carry" etc. It looks like the only suggested prereq for Carbine 1 is CPL, which is no problem. As far as handgun, i could probably place in level 2 or 3, but i'd almost like to start fresh if they do a good job with the Carbine 1 course. I'll keep my eyes open for the class you mentioned though. I've gotta say, handgun 3 allows you to shoot from and around your car, which is something i've been looking for. Something more real world.

Appreciate the quick response. I'd sign up, but all carbine and handgun classes are full, so I'll have to keep checking back.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Beretta96fs,

Another option for training in Michigan this year may be Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics. He will be teaching handgun, shotgun, and close quarters tactics classes. I have trained with Randy multiple times and highly recommend him. Here is a link:

http://www.guntactics.com/

Feedback Score
    MDFI (Steve Fisher) is good people. They put on good classes with a lot of very useful information. I've yet to take a bad class from them.

Take the level 1 classes first, unless you're that good.

Close contact shooting and low/no light courses are also FANTASTIC.

Feedback Score
    I've taken 5 or 6 of steves classes. And should hit 8 or more this year.

Steve is a great no nonsense trainer that know his stuff. ALL of his AI's are experienced shooters and could probably teach the class themselves. Although maybe not matching steves intensity

Hands down for the money you are NOT going to find better training. The guys at MDFI are squared away and I will continue to train with them as long as they'll have me.
    Last edited by KeithD; 05-27-10 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    MDFI (Steve Fisher) is good people. They put on good classes with a lot of very useful information. I've yet to take a bad class from them.

Take the level 1 classes first, unless you're that good.

Close contact shooting and low/no light courses are also FANTASTIC.
    I'm a good shot (handgun, rifle is newer since i'm just gettin into 3 gun this year) and have taken a class on handgun before, but it was pretty bad. It felt more like Michigan's CPL classes that pat everyone on the back and give them what they pay for instead of earning it. So in all reality, I would much rather start with Handgun 1. If i re-learn some stuff, its still good fun. But I would rather not miss something from a top notch trainer by starting in the higher classes. Practice makes perfect. I really wanted to do the Magpul course, but it's just a lot of money ($525 plus 15,000 rounds is pretty spendy). And I hear Steve is one of the best that comes highly recommended.

Keith D, maybe i'll see you in one of the classes. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for either Carbine 1 or Handgun 1, but at $150 per class I would like to explore the Low Light, Winter Carry, and other offshoot classes. At the end of the day, you can have some great fun that isn't allowed in standard ranges. Is the Low Light course indoors or outdoors? Just curious.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll sign up as soon as a spot opens up. Keep it real....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    I've taken 5 or 6 of steves classes. And should hit 8 or more this year.

Steve is a great no nonsense trainer that know his stuff. ALL of his AI's are experienced shooters and could probably teach the class themselves. Although maybe not matching steves intensity

Hands down for the money you are NOT going to find better training. The guys at MDFI are squared away and I will continue to train with them as long as they'll have me.
    Yea at $150 it sounds like a steal. The crummy course I took was $250 plus 250 rounds. I could literally go through 250 rounds in an hour range session if I'm alone and not taking my time. For $150, I'm really glad I didn't take the Magpul class, simply because I could do Handgun 1-3 and Carbine 1&2 for about the same price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta96fs View Post
    Yea at $150 it sounds like a steal. The crummy course I took was $250 plus 250 rounds. I could literally go through 250 rounds in an hour range session if I'm alone and not taking my time. For $150, I'm really glad I didn't take the Magpul class, simply because I could do Handgun 1-3 and Carbine 1&2 for about the same price.
    you will deffinitly get your round count in. i usually will bring 150-200 rounds over the required round count, just to be sure i have enough.

There are alot of trainers here in michigan and steve is tops for sure. Constantly updating his classes and staying up on current techniques keeps him on the top.

I have taken handgun 2 a bizzilion times and they have been different each time. One of the best things about Steve is he tailors the class to the class. If all the shooters are switched on and doing good, he'll step it up.

Ive been to classes that it was strictly by the lesson plan, even though the class was capable of moving at a faster pace.

Obviosly I think pretty highly of steves classes but at the end of the day who am I? but im pretty confident you'll walk away happy and feeling like you ripped HIM off cause its so cheap!

Hope to see ya at a class.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I have taken 11 or 12 MDFI classes. Some of those were repeats, like Handgun 1 which I have taken 4 times or more. I recommend you just start with the YSINTG or level 1 stuff. I think your s**t needs to be wired tight for the level 3 stuff.

Yes, this is a recommendation for MDFI classes.
    Last edited by bsf; 05-27-10 at 22:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast