Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel life ? after moving gas port.

Feedback Score

barrel life ? after moving gas port.

hi.

i've sent my 16''CMMG mid-contour barrel to ADCO,

trim her down, get some weight off.

also move carbine gas, to mid-length gas,

so ? we'er plugging one hole n' drilling another.

other board guys are saying , that once you drill through the chrome, it'll pitt and flake, and barrel wont last.???

what you guys thoughts on this ?

peabody
    Last edited by peabody; 05-28-10 at 20:20. Reason: barrel life after moving gas port.
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    No difference the original gas port was drilled through the chrome lining it doesn't cause problems. The other one will be no different expect it will have less gas port erosion than the carbine gas port because it will be tapping the gas farther from the chamber = less pressure.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    accuracy will most likely not be effected. no, it will not "flake." the chrome is chemically bonded to the metal, not plated on like bumper chrome.

fear not.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much will the work cost you? It may cause the chrome to flake but if it doesn't have an adverse effect on performance it's pointless to worry. Then again, it may not flake at all.

It will allow you to try a new barrel profile & gas tube length without having to pay full price for a new barrel.

When was the original gas hole drilled? Before or after being chromed? If it was drilled after then it's too late to worry about flaking

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

''fear not''

now that i like.

thank you for explaining that, well, shuck's looks like my dissy is still good to go,

me happy camper now.

peabody

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    How much will the work cost you? It may cause the chrome to flake but if it doesn't have an adverse effect on performance it's pointless to worry. Then again, it may not flake at all.

It will allow you to try a new barrel profile & gas tube length without having to pay full price for a new barrel.

When was the original gas hole drilled? Before or after being chromed? If it was drilled after then it's too late to worry about flaking

before or after ? now that i'ed have no clue.
    but if it was chemicaly applied, then no worries, ?

i would think ? just guessing, drilled after ?

peabody

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    it was drilled after the lining, and again- it will not flake... it's not a "plating," it's a bonded lining. misty is incorrect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    it was drilled after the lining, and again- it will not flake... it's not a "plating," it's a bonded lining. misty is incorrect.

thank you

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    Never claimed it was plated or bonded. Wasn't sure it'd flake but I wasn't it wouldn't either. What I was trying to say is if the original hole was drilled after the plating, it's too late to worry about the new hole.

Plenty of of barrels are cut drilled after being chromed. Still it's good to have it confirmed it's nothing to worry about
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-30-10 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Call me weird but I would not bother moving a gas port I'd just get a new barrel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast