Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy TRX vs. MI SS-Series rails

Feedback Score

Troy TRX vs. MI SS-Series rails

I've been looking for a free float rail system and have narrowed my selection down to the two choices listed.

Other than aesthetics, are there any pros and cons between the two? Which one is lighter, has a more secure mount, etc? From the searching I've done, everyone seems to really like the TRX, but I haven't found any direct comparisons. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Welcome to M4C! Do some searching because this is a well talked about subject. It is my opinion that the Troy rail is superior to the MI. I have a Troy TRX standard 13in rail on my 6.8 and as much as I hate how much it weighs, it is just plain solid!

Last edited by CoryCop25; 05-19-10 at 00:50.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Great. Thanks for the warm welcome and the personal feedback. I did find some info on the Troy products, but not too much on the MI stuff, at least in terms of actual user feedback. My search-fu may need some more work!

Feedback Score
    One more question. Does anyone know how these compare in diameter to the stock hand guards?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The trx locks up much tighter, is much thinner in diameter, and also weighs less then the mi. It's diameter is very narrow and easy to aquire good positive traction with... I have big hands and like how I can get more of the handguard in my hand. I have the 11" extreme. Love it. If you check out my profile, you can search past posts of mine as I debated the same two rails when they were newish. The selling point for me was the diameter and mounting system.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I looked into both. The Troy didn't have enough difference for me to justify the extra $$. It was literally $100 more. The MI SS rail locks up like their other rails, with a jam nut, so it is a little work to get it all lined up. Nice mono look though. Only complaint is the anti-rotation screw, which stripped out almost immediately. Still, all you need to do is torque it tight/right and you'll be good to go. If you're super concerned about it coming loose, you can add some low-strength loctite.

Both rails are great. If you're a larue/acog kind of guy, you'll probably want the troy. I'm more of the school of diminishing returns, where 50% of the cost gives you 95% of the usability.

Not a great pic, but this is the FDE MI SS rail.
    Last edited by Polymerhead; 05-20-10 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There is definitely going to be a difference in the feel. Both will be functional, but personally I prefer the thinner diameter. This is the main reason I won't go near YHM anymore. My YHM was solid, but compared to the Troy TRX, it didn't come close in craftsmanship or design. I know we're talking about MI here, but that barrel nut looks just like the YHM barrel nut. Unless you have very large hands, I think you'll prefer the Troy.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I ended up ordering the Troy. The price difference ended up being negligible once I factored in the extra cost of the MI barrel nut wrench.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The MI appears to be a much larger diameter, can anyone confirm?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The MI appears to be a much larger diameter, can anyone confirm?
    It's quite a bit larger. Not sure of exact dimensions, but I'm sure they're on each rail's respective website. Also, when you look at pics of each rail mounted, the difference is noticeable.
    Acta Non Verba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast