Thread: AAR: LMS Defense 1-day AK Clinic, Sacramento CA May 22nd

Feedback Score

AAR: LMS Defense 1-day AK Clinic, Sacramento CA May 22nd

I took this class because I have been to several carbine classes from world class instructors but never spent much time behind my AK. It was time to learn how to run this gun the right way.

This was my first class with LMS Defense and I was very happy with the training I received. Josh Jackson taught the class and did a great job. He has taught this block of instruction enough times that he easily flowed from section to section and made several on the fly adjustments to address the needs of the class. Like all great instructors he did learn at least one new trick from his students to add to the bag of knowledge. I was impressed.

Class started with introductions, safety briefing and history of the AK. We only had four guys in the class, including myself. This made it nice as we all got plenty of one-on-one instruction. I was the only Cop in the class and the three other guys had never taken a rifle class before. Since this class was in CA two of us ran registered assault weapon (normal) AK’s and the other two had CA legal (no pistol grip) AK’s. This made for its own challenges for the students and Josh.

Josh covered all the basic highlights from other carbine classes including sight in, maintenance, standing, various kneeling, sitting, prone including roll-over & SBS, shooting on the move, barricades and a little team tactics. Having been to other classes before it was a great review and tune up for me.

Here is what was different and specific to the AK. Josh presented a compelling argument that if your AK is not your primary rifle then you may not want to modify it by adding lights, optics and such. His point was, if your AK is for training on in the event that you are in some third world crap hole or pick one up off a bag guy here, it is most likely going to be bone stock. I agreed with this line of thought as my AK was purchased with this exact idea in mind. Having this in mind prior to the class, I fashioned a single point sling out of an old Romanian sling I had. I got the idea from someone else and it was very effective attached to the sling swivel on the side of my side folding wire stock.

He presented the arguments, pros / cons and procedures for carrying the AK with a round in the chamber safety on and with an empty chamber safety off. He left the mode of carry to the individual. Given I have been using AR’s for over 20 years I chose loaded with safety on but I can see now the other mode could be useful in certain situations. One thing that he presented that I was not aware of is that it is possible to pull the trigger through the safety on an AK and discharge a round. I was not aware of that.

Josh spends a lot of time going over reloading the AK. The methodology he presented was logical and effective. Because the AK does not reload like an AR we worked on this a lot. Most of the time we just loaded 5-10 rounds per mag to force reloads. The method he presented goes like this:

1. Gun goes click on an empty chamber, dead round or whatever
    2. Cycle the bolt with the week hand from underneath.
    3. Get back on target and fire again – if you get another click.
    4. Get new magazine out with week hand. Use the front section of it to press the paddle of the mag release and continue to sweep forward hitting the empty mag assisting it out of the gun.
    5. Rock and lock in new mag.
    6. Cycle the bolt loading the rifle.

I had all kinds of hell with this. I was good if I thought about it but once stress was induced I did my own thing. Then by buddy that came to the class with me said, “You’re reloading it like you reload your MP5.” Then it hit me, he was right. I took a hard look at what I was doing and asked why am I fighting years of training. Josh and I discussed it and we both agreed, don’t fix what aint broke.
    So this is how I do my reloads with the AK:

1. Gun goes click on an empty chamber, dead round or whatever.
    2. Grab mag in gun pressing mag release paddle.
    3. Remove mag and place in dump pouch.
    4. Get new magazine out.
    5. Rock and lock in new mag.
    6. Cycle the bolt with the week hand from underneath.
    7. Get back on target.

Not exactly like you run the MP5 but closer than the method presented for the AK. Given that I have to be able to operate several weapons systems this method fits into my tool box. If I was teaching overseas to AK operators or was married to the AK I would teach Josh’s method as it fixes more issues that may come up than what works for me.

I used an Eagle AK chest rig with brand new custom made esstac padded harness. This set up was very comfortable and consistent with my work rig. It took me some time to get used to having my mags with the bullets up vs. down with my M4 but it worked well for me with the AK.

This class was worth my time and I got out of it exactly what I wanted. The only down side was that my back was acting up and I had to sit out some of the drills. I will be training with LMS Defense again and would recommend them. These one day clinic format classes are a great idea for the budget minded and those of us who just want a quick tune up or introduction to a different weapon system.

I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as I get them.
    Last edited by yrac; 05-30-10 at 08:46. Reason: Noted training provider in title
    LE Firearms Instuctor - Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun and Automatic Weapons.
    LE Factory Armorer: Colt, Beretta, Glock, Remington, Ruger, SIG, S&W, Springfield Armory.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I won't repeat everything that LuckyStiff posted, so I'll only be adding a small bit from my perspective.

This is the first time I've really SHOT my AK, aside from plinking at the range, so I had no bad habits. As LS said, reloading was key and by the end of the class my reloads became were pretty smooth and I was very confident with my ability to use my rifle.

My AK is not a registered assault weapon (CA only ) so I was using the Monsterman Grip with a standard magazine release. Actually, I'm pretty sure all but 1 student were using the Monsterman configurations. It is an uncomfortable grip but I wanted the freedom (ironic?) of being able to release mags without using a tool. From that perspective it functioned wonderfully. My rifle is a AK-74 in 5.45x39 built from a Polish Tantal kit but with a fixed stock; the only addition I have to it is a Blue Force Vickers sling. Surprisingly, with the cost of ammo, I was the only one in the class using 5.45. Thats no problem, though, more $0.13/round ammo for me!

Did the class make me a master? Of course not, but it gave me the foundations I need to continue training on an AK series rifle if I should choose to in the future. LMS Defense is a solid training company and I would recommend them to anyone.

I used an Eagle AK chest rig for the class with a custom made Esstac yoke and it was fantastic. The yoke was brand new that week, so the class was the first time I got to try it out. It made using the rig much more comfortable. I know the weight of 3 mags + odds/ends isn't anything to complain about, but the classic Eagle "X-straps" were just plain uncomfortable after time. The gear paired with the rifle and sling all worked very well together.

Quick pic of rifle + rig:

Don't mind the color of the grip, I'm going to be spraying it OD to match.
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why underneath?

Why an IAD instead of simply proceeding to an emergency reload on a click?

Not trying to second guess, just curious for the reasons presented by the instructor.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Why underneath?

Why an IAD instead of simply proceeding to an emergency reload on a click?

Not trying to second guess, just curious for the reasons presented by the instructor.
    As a righty if you go under the gun with your left hand you're angling the ejection port down - no need to fight gravity.

ETA: Josh explained that the click could be a result of a bad round/FTEject/etc. The IAD could prevent you from dumping rounds that you might need later.
    Last edited by hossb7; 06-01-10 at 23:49.
    If not me, then who?