Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What tools do you recommend for parent of an asthmatic child?

Feedback Score
    Consider one of these: http://www.allergybegone.com/devlexp...c=6&zmap=dev45

Not endorsing the vendor, they just happened to be the first site with a pic.

This allows you to use the bullets of medication like you would in a normal nebulizer but requires no batteries or power like an MDI and can help with compliance over an MDI with a spacer. As well, it has the advantage of you knowing just how much medication you have left as opposed to an MDI being half empty or nearly gone.

Something to consider.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    Consider one of these: http://www.allergybegone.com/devlexp...c=6&zmap=dev45

Not endorsing the vendor, they just happened to be the first site with a pic.

This allows you to use the bullets of medication like you would in a normal nebulizer but requires no batteries or power like an MDI and can help with compliance over an MDI with a spacer. As well, it has the advantage of you knowing just how much medication you have left as opposed to an MDI being half empty or nearly gone.

Something to consider.
    That is a great idea, "it's a what if there isn't any power for weeks" kind of product. Thank you very much, this is exactly the kind of information I needed. Wow!

Thank you for the link 9mm. Unfortunately, there is a metric ton of info out there, most of it is repetitive. But this was something I haven't seen before. It's very useful.
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 05-31-10 at 03:57.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Ah, yes, I shoulda mentioned peak flow meter. Definitely get one. I wouldn't bother with a pulse oximeter. As has been said, they are often unreliable, the last thing to show the seriousness of a hypoxic event (by the time the SpO2 drops, you are already in deep doo), and many other things can give unreliable numbers. You know your son, his signs and symptoms, his medications, his triggers. You are a solid clinician at this point, so continue relying on clinical indicators as to the seriousness of any attack.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The pulse ox isn't really a home-use sort of item, it's not something you'll need or be able to make use of.

Everything has been mentioned. Get Benadryl liquid (and injection if you can get a script for it), Epi Pen jr., and a couple of spare albuterol inhalers in separate locations (go-bags, etc). I haven't found research that convincing regarding the success of the peak flow meter.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I will still buy a pulse ox, to have as just another tool.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like y'all have it covered. I carry an Albuterol inhaler in my purse at all times, in my kids' backpack or carry bag and one in my med bag. The spacer stays with the one in the med bag. In an emergency you can poke a hole in the bottom of a disposable cup and put the inhaler mouth piece through the hole and place the cup over the child's nose and mouth and have them inhale the med. We carry an inverter in our vehicle when we are on the road so we can plug in the nebulizer and give a treatment if needed. I keep liquid steroids, inhaled steroids on hand in my med bag as well. Our pediatrician and I set up a plan of care so that I can treat as needed within those guidelines and seek assistance when needed. We have traveled during flare ups and have had flare ups while we are traveling but have been able to control the symptoms. For us the biggest thing has been controlling the allergies which cause the asthma to flare. We use daily meds when allergy triggers are present and are able to take med breaks (with pediatrician approval).
    Cardiac Nurse

Feedback Score
    Working with astmatics and being one myself I would recommend fresh batteries after each use of the battery operated nebulizer. After one use you are loosing the force needed to give the albuterol. I had a patient who did not have fresh batteries in her battery operated nebulizer and I end up sending her to the ER.

What everybody has been said and what you have is good so far.

Prevention is the primary key.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by airwayguru View Post
    Working with astmatics and being one myself I would recommend fresh batteries after each use of the battery operated nebulizer. After one use you are loosing the force needed to give the albuterol. I had a patient who did not have fresh batteries in her battery operated nebulizer and I end up sending her to the ER.

What everybody has been said and what you have is good so far.

Prevention is the primary key.
    I bought the Pari Trek S, with power pack, so the batteries are rechargeable. I should find out where to find replacement ones.

http://www.pari.com/pdd/trek-s.htm
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 06-02-10 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Only thing I would double and triple check is severe allergies to insect bites / stings. I have to carry an epi-pen every where I go and would think this could be even worse of asthmatics.
    Artos,

I am not an asthmatic, but I am like you. I need an Epi-Pen on me due to my bee/wasp/hornet allergies. Last time I got stung I was in Paramedic School on my day off, and had to call my co-workers to me. I got hit with SQ epi that day, but being the stubborn person I am, refused to carry an Epi-Pen till my wife made me. She is also a Paramedic, and so she finally cut me.... err, reasoned with me till I agreed to carry it on me, or at least in my vehicle at all times.
    If these same judicial despots misconstrued the Second Amendment as broadly as they do the first, Americans would have nukes to defend themselves from noisy neighbors. - Mark Alexander

I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes.

"You cant invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto

A Recession is when your neighbour loses his job,
    A Depression is when you lose your job, and
    A Recovery is when Obama loses his.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12