Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56mm NATO versus 223 Remington Chamber Differences

Feedback Score
    No, you should also have a Field gauge too in order to check if the chamber is too deep or not. If the bolt closes on a Field gauge, do NOT fire the gun!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccleonard View Post
    I was always just told the pressures of a 5.56 round would somehow damage a rifle chambered in 223. This definitely was helpful. Much appreciated.
    Ive never witnessed damage to the gun, but Ive seen the brass get stuck in the chamber, consistently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iCarbine View Post
    So, all I need to check my chamber is a 5.56 GO gauge and if the action closes on the guage I have a 5.56 chamber? Am I reading this correctly?
    No, you are not.

A headspace gage measures the headspace dimension (bolt face to datum line on shoulder) whereas the difference between 5.56 and .223 is primarily in the throat.

Feedback Score
    Simple: the military is willing to have more headspace, as they don't care if a case is reloadable or not. As long as headspace is not so great that cases separate, and tie up the weapon, they're cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Yes. According to the data I've seen No go for .223 Rem is 1.4666" and No go for 5.56 is 1.4736". Why the difference if the cases of .223 and 5.56 are the same dimension from the cartridge base to shoulder.

For instance, if I mounted a new barrel labeled .223 Rem and the bolt would close on a No go 1.4666" gauge the bolt/barrel headspace would be out of spec. but would not be out of spec if it were a 5.56 Nato chamber.

As for a gauge, to tell if a chamber is .223 or 5.56 (and the barrel, with some exceptions, will not tell you the truth) you need one of Ned Christiansen's 223/556 gauges.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Feedback Score

Is is safe to reload .223 shells for 5.56mm?

I have a 5.56mm chamber and have shot only 5.56mm ammo. Lately,
    I've been offered .223 Rem ammo cheaper than my regular 5.56mm so
    I'm thinking of trying them on my AR.

Can I safely have .223 shells reloaded to 5.56? If not, I would
    I have to keep track of the shells and ensure that they are
    correctly segregated. It would add an element of danger if I
    were to make a mistake.

Feedback Score
    You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber, the concern, mostly un-warranted, is 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Feedback Score
    You can easily and safely reload .223, and use it in your 5.56. (If indeed you do have a 5.56 leade/throat) .223 in a 5.56 is not a problem, it is the reverse that can be a problem.

The brass is (within normal manufacturing variances) the same, the difference being the pressure. Use .223 load data, and have fun.

To load to 5.56, you would simply exceed the .223 load data by the amount specified by reloading manuals, to create 5.56. Don't bother.

If you really need 5.56, buy 5.56. If you're reloading, the point is to lower costs and wear-and-tear, so stick with the .223 data.

And yes, Tweak, it can matter.
    Last edited by patrick sweeney; 04-19-12 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I disagree. I have seen numerous carbines from XYZ manufacturers that had failure to extract issues when using 5.56 in their .223 chmabered AR's.

Specifically, Bushamster, DPMS and Oly Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber, the concern, mostly un-warranted, is 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick sweeney View Post
    And yes, Tweak, it can matter.
    Never said it couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Specifically, Bushamster, DPMS and Oly Arms.
    Yep, and usually those POS have tight headspace and often undersized chambers. The SAAMI warnings came out in response to folks using milsurp in their civilian bolt guns. 5.56 in a tight .223 will show pressure signs. SAAMI is more concerned about 50,000 psi to the face than the occasional malfunction.

There's an excellent thread over on Brand X where I was helping a PD armorer with his stock of duty rifles. He went all out in testing the chambers to include chronographing, casting the chambers and checking the headspace.

The information was so telling that one maker applied pressure to his chain of command to shut him up.

I've done tests of problem (OAI) .223 chambers using only a 5.56 throat (no change to headspace) reamer then a no throat .223 reamer. In every case opening the throat to 5.56 didn't change the malfunctions but cutting the chamber (usually saw chips on the body on a no pressure pass) to a proper .223 or deepening the headspace (chips on shoulder with pressure) did solve the problem.

If a rifle needs to have the bolt pried open on a .223 NOGO then it's probably not going to run 5.56 when it gets hot.

If the minor differences in throat profiles made such a catastrophic difference then rifles would be popping all day around the world.

Throat profile is way down the list of potential causes of malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    [shrug]

My experience differs. When we see problematic rifles in the classes, I don't even bother bringing out the headspace gages any more. I simply measure the threat/leade, and if the gage is at all sticky, ream just that.

9+ times out of 10, that solves the problem. The ones it doesn't have a lot more problems than just the throat/leade.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast