Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56mm NATO versus 223 Remington Chamber Differences

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If you had a Colt, DD, BCM, or even an LMT I would probably go out on a limb and say that your chamber is probably not in doubt. That's because they are known to be consistent.

With Bushmaster it's anyone's guess as they have proven to be inconsistent. You would need to do a chamber casting or you could use Ned Christiansens chamber checker.

Ultimately if you really want to know get some M855 or M193 and test some rounds. Look for blown primers or rounds that fail to extract.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    My two Bushmasters have .223/5.56 on the receiver, but they are marked 5.56 NATO on the barrel. I called Bushmaster & they said the rifles could fire both .223/5.56. Is this BS? Should I just stick with .223 ammo? Thanks.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Great post- sticky quality.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    So this was mentioned in page 2 of this thread and it cannot tell if it was answered. I purchased some mixed .223 and 5.56 brass. Most are lake city, some are federal 5.56, some are .223 and some I can't tell the markings.

As long as I load to .223 load data I'm good to go?
    Also, no one seems to want to publish 5.56 loads. Where can I find some for H-335 and hodgens CCE 223?

I separated the lake city from everything else. I have some ss-109 projectiles I would like to load to original 5.56 loads. Thank you in advance for all your help guys.

Feedback Score
    The latest Hornady manual has 5.56 data.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    We've established the difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO...

How about .223 Wylde vs. 5.56 NATO?
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    5.56 leade, with a tighter neck/throat than 5.56, but not as tight as a minimum-dimension .223 neck.

Basically, to gain the best accuracy that a .223 could deliver, while controlling pressure like a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick sweeney View Post
    5.56 leade, with a tighter neck/throat than 5.56, but not as tight as a minimum-dimension .223 neck.

Basically, to gain the best accuracy that a .223 could deliver, while controlling pressure like a 5.56.
    That's my understanding of it too.... The wylde chambers, however, were known for popping primers and stuff with the hot Q3131 WIN M193 variant. I'd seen signs, and I had an instructor mention the issues at a Patrol Rifle class also.

I can remember my Wylde chamber giving me weird buldges in some of my brass on full house loads too. Kinda spooked me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The Wylde neck is actually looser than 5.56

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, time to go back and pore over the drawings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's my understanding of it too.... The wylde chambers, however, were known for popping primers and stuff with the hot Q3131 WIN M193 variant. I'd seen signs, and I had an instructor mention the issues at a Patrol Rifle class also.

I can remember my Wylde chamber giving me weird buldges in some of my brass on full house loads too. Kinda spooked me.
    Sounds like you had other problems. When the headspace is correct the Wylde chambers will shoot any load a 5.56 will.

Look at the difference in the 5.56Nato and 223 Wylde chamber drawings. The 223 Wylde is actually larger in most dimensions and has a longer freebore. The difference is the freebore of the Wylde is .2245 in diameter to properly align the bullet the 5.56 Nato freebore is .226" or .002" larger diameter than the bullet.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/wp-c...06/REAMER6.png
    Last edited by constructor; 10-19-14 at 17:12.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast