Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for those who carry for self defense: Do you carry spare magazines/ammo?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A question for those who carry for self defense: Do you carry spare magazines/ammo?

I know, it may seem like a dumb question to some of you, but I am in search of a broader understanding here....

In the course of discussions about carry and defense I inevitably run across a large number of people who tell me that they don't carry any more ammunition than their weapon holds. I am always stunned to hear this.

So do you carry spare ammo for your carry weapons?
    How much do you routinely carry?
    Do you regularly carry a backup weapon?
    If yes or no to any of these, why?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carry my glock 19 and one spare mag with me at all times. When I am at the office I have my Glock and one mag on me and a couple of extra mags in computer case. Just a regular earth person here.

Feedback Score
    Assuming you're talking about a semi-auto as a CCW weapon...

For those of us who train regularly, both in formal class settings and on our own, what is one of the most frequent causes of malfunctions that you see? While there are a number of things that pop up frequently, I'll bet problems with magazines pop up as a factor on a regular basis. Even if I never thought I'd need the extra ammo, and even though I keep a close eye on my mags, the risk of one going south is a good enough reason for me to carry a spare. (Usually two spares.) I hope never to have to use my weapon at all. I really hope never to be in a situation that requires the use of one or more spare magazines... I doubt I will ever be put in that position. However, I feel better knowing the spares are there. G19, two spare mags.

No BUG at this time, but that is about to change.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree, a semi-auto has to have a spare magazine. I carry one.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Minimum of 2 spares for my primary. Very few exceptions.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I carry a Glock 19 with a spare magazine. The Glock is topped-off and the spare mag is downloaded by one, making for a total of 30 rounds Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P.

I do not carry a BUG currently, but I am heading in that direction. I do carry OC spray and a one-hand open folding knife, along with a flashlight.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yes I always carry a spare mag. As someone who shoots a lot of rounds a year with a handgun I can say that you may not need the extra rounds, you may just need another properly working magazine. Mr Murphy has a mean way of making mags/guns not work sometimes. Getting the one affected by Murphy out of the gun and getting a fresh one back in the gun is usually the best solution. YMMV.

I competition damn good reload is as fast as your draw.

I'm slow on the draw and reloads but hit 1.25sec regularly and I don't 'dry practice' that often but I do 'dry fire'. In street clothes/gear I'm sure this will be 1.75-2.5sec depending on clothing which is still better than trying to monkey with your gun trying to figure out why it ain't running.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A spare magazine is not just an ammunition holder

It is an easily replaced feeding device for your weapon

I would either carry a spare mag or a spare pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Even with my pimp gun!

Feedback Score

mags

I carry a Glock22 and i always carry 2 mags.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast