Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for those who carry for self defense: Do you carry spare magazines/ammo?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Assuming you remember the pistol, I honestly cant think of a worse omission than to leave a spare mag out of the "kit".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have to remember that the magazine is a pistol's weakest link. So the main purpose for carrying a spare magazine is not so you can have more ammo.

I carry either a Glock 23, Glock 26 or a Kel-Tec P-3AT daily. I usually have one spare magazine for the Glocks and two for the Kel-Tec (not sure why).

At the versy leasats if I end up emptying the first magazine during a lethal encounter (God forbid!!); I can use the second (and third) magazine to get the heck out of the AO. YMMV.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At least one spare for double stack guns, and at least 2 for single stacks.

I care a Smith Centenial Airweight as a backup about 75% of the time.

At the minimum you should always have a spare magazine for a myriad of reasons, the least of which is a malfunction that compromises the in-gun mag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    So do you carry spare ammo for your carry weapons?
    How much do you routinely carry?
    Do you regularly carry a backup weapon?
    If yes or no to any of these, why?
    Yes
    Minimum of one per weapon, with at least one accessible to either hand
    Yes
    because I can

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thusfar the responses are about as I figured from folks on this site.

As to where I stand on the matter:

That's my usual carry setup. I started packing the 442 as a backup several years ago. The wisdom of this practice was confirmed to me on the range at Blackwater. I stepped up to run the first drill of the day on day 2 of a Tactical Handgun II class using the weapon I had carried as my primary on the trip down to BW.

The buzzer went off, I drew my weapon and pulled the trigger.

*CLICK*...Tap, rack, reacquire....*CLICK*.....Tap, rack, reacquire...*CLICK*....*CLICK CLICK CLICK*

Turns out the weapon had busted the firing pin sometime between my range trip the week before and stepping up to run the drill that morning. I had been carrying a dead man's gun during my entire trip down there. I was extremely glad that I started packing the 442 as a backup a short while before....

Sometimes I can only pack the 442, but I still have a speed strip and a knife on me.

I am just stunned to hear people tell me that they don't "need" to pack an extra magazine. "I carry a Glock and I won't ever need more than 15 rounds!"

It seems to me that anyone who would say something like that is utterly unprepared for the reality of defending themselves.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Thusfar the responses are about as I figured from folks on this site.
    Without getting too OT on the matter, I must say that this is one of the main reasons why I like this site so much. The signal/noise ratio is very low.

There are plenty of other sites where this thread would have been filled with nonsense; instead, we get a lot of guys all on the same page and all for the same reasons, more or less.

Feedback Score
    The mentality of not carrying a spare mag, for whatever convaluted reason the "individual" (term used very loosely) may try and rationalize, causes me to seek the Motrin bottle.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    There are plenty of other sites where this thread would have been filled with nonsense.
    Indeed.

In a similar thread at another place a poster actually had the audacity to say that people carrying spare magazines, a flashlight, and a backup are having "mall ninja" fantasies.

"If you need more than 5 shots, you shouldn't be in the fight!"

Apparently there is some super-awesome tactical school out there that teaches you to not only be able to see the future and thus magically ensure you will never face more than a single bad guy, but also teaches you how to never miss a shot during a gunfight.

I have GOT to go to that school.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    The mentality of not carrying a spare mag, for whatever convaluted reason the "individual" (term used very loosely) may try and rationalize, causes me to seek the Motrin bottle.
    I've actually said "I don't have enough tylenol for this conversation" before.

Happy birfday, btw....

Feedback Score
    Sig 229R, 2 spare mags, X200 on belt clip, Strider, SF E2E.

Or Kimber Warrior, 4 spare mags, X200, Strider, SF ect

I always have a Colt Pocketlight and 1 spare, plus 3-4 more mags for the primary in my day pack.

Ive been known at times to keep an SBR, supressor, and body armor in a Bauer Box in the back of my jeep
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast