Thread: Mossy 590 question

Feedback Score

Mossy 590 question

Ha, I have been here for 90 days and I have made my first purchase. A Mossy 590 Persuader - soon to be followed by other things.

So, technically incompetant as I am, I am running thru field stripping practice. I am unscrewing the magazine tube end-cap holding it tight, because I don't want the spring to fire it into orbit, and nothing happens - the end cap just comes off. Underneath I find a slotted cap fitted into the magazine tube holding the spring in.

I am used to having the spring directly beneath the end cap - or maybe I just fired old guns. So, a couple of questions:

1. What's the best way to remove this cap - is it only friction fitted?

2. Can I leave it out altogether - or is there some reason it needs to go back in if it is removed?

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Von Rheydt,

The cap is just there to keep it from flying in your face if you take the barrel off to clean it without cleaning the mag tube. You can remove it of leave it in place. I have done both.

You can pop it out with a small screw driver, and press fit it back in. The same basic system is used with most shotguns.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    DMR,

thanks for that.

I have only ever used 'well used' military shotguns, this is my first own shotgun. When confronted with the cap I had assumed that the old military guns I have used had them removed by squaddies to clean the tube.

I wanted to err on the side of caution by asking.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What DMR said.

While you've got the gun apart and are going through it, recommend you do the PM we discussed in other threads for your Mossberg.

Enjoy.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Off the top of my head...

Metal safety button
    Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
    High-vis follower

Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw

Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator

Run a premium lubricant or CLP
    Found it.

The plan is:

- Hogue stock and forend;
    - Vangs bigger safety;
    - replace mag spring and follower.
    - I also saw somewhere that Vang does a simple dovetail drop in replacement glow in the dark frontsight for ghost ring ........ can't find any mention on their site so I'll drop them a line.
    - I shall also be putting together a spare parts kit for when I go shooting - nothing more annoying than having to stop shooting for a $2.00 part that you then have to wait a week for.

I have never fully stripped a shotgun (military armourers get pissed at having to put the parts collections back together) so I am slowly building up to a complete strip and re-assemble. As that goes along I will polish the mag tube internally a tad and also check the moving parts. The whole thing will be nicely oiled.

I am even playing with the idea of getting the metal done in coyote'ish cerakote .......... humour me, its a new toy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post

- I also saw somewhere that Vang does a simple dovetail drop in replacement glow in the dark frontsight for ghost ring ........ can't find any mention on their site so I'll drop them a line.
    I believe the tritium front sight you are thinking of is an XS Standard Tritium dot. I have one on my Mossberg 500a and I love it. The white outline really helps me pick up the front sight during the day, and the tritium insert glows a bright green at night. You have to measure the height of your existing sight, and call XS Sights to order the sight, as apparently Mossberg has made the sites with different heights. Here's a crappy pic

Last edited by Eric Cartman; 06-29-10 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I believe the tritium front sight you are thinking of is an XS Standard Tritium dot. I have one on my Mossberg 500a and I love it. The white outline really helps me pick up the front sight during the day, and the tritium insert glows a bright green at night. You have to measure the height of your existing sight, and call XS Sights to order the sight, as apparently Mossberg has made the sites with different heights.
    Dang, I wouldn't mind having that on my scattergun.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب