Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a new 870P woohoo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Why do you feel it's twice the gun? I'm not being rude, I'm curious. What criteria did you use? Failure rate of the parts? Non-user induced malfunctions? Performance in your work, or at a training class?

I have both, so this is not a urination contest. I'm just trying to understand why you feel that way.

To the OP - excellent choice, and I definitely agree with Templar about the shorter stock. Have a great time at Mr Awerbuck's class, he's an excellent instructor.

When you get a chance, may I respectfully suggest a Surefire light for it? Like the 618 series?

SS , sorry , I tend to give short answers . BUT .

Ok , I have over 800 rounds down range with my 590A1 , 60% low brass 7 shot , the rest 70/30 , 00 or slugs , . Never had a major broken part , the stock mag spring is junk and collapsed in the first 3 full mags , WOLFF spring fixed that , had the safety come loose , LoK Tite , fixed . The up top safety is faster to run . I have short stroked it many times , my fault , been getting better .

I see no real wear and all is good . The 590A1 is all steel , the newr 870's have plastic trigger groups ,I just like steel . Even Rem's Police guns are suffering at the hands of the new owners .

What's that gonna run me dollar wise and turn around time?
    I paid LEO price , shipped my barrel with a group from the local SO . It was about a 2.5 week wait , not bad I thought . Groups improved with buck and slugs shoot a lot better .

I concur on the shorter stock , dont go crazy , but a youth 870 stock worked for me .

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not to get way off topic, but the 590A1 is not all steel, it's aluminum, which is better than the plastic bits on a standard 500 or 590.

The A1 is to a 590 the way the Police is to the Express.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Not to get way off topic, but the 590A1 is not all steel, it's aluminum, which is better than the plastic bits on a standard 500 or 590.

The A1 is to a 590 the way the Police is to the Express.

I should have stated METAL as opposed to steel .
    Last edited by FindCover; 06-05-10 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    CC4me, great choice. You have the foundation for a great shotgun.

FindCover, I believe your comparison of the 870 vs the 590 is based on the 870 Express or "Tactical" line, not the 870P.

The 870P (Police models) are slicker, smoother and more refined than any 590 I have ever handled. The 590 is a robust weapon.

It does boil down to personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the 590.

For the record, I do own a 14" 590, which is carried daily for duty, and have owned a 20" 590. I cuss everytime I rack it, wishing it was an 870. I can't justify buying the 870 because the damned 590 works. Both are bomb proof.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Some handy data from Remington, regarding the differences between the LE line and Express:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf

Feedback Score
    The 870 is a true classic. I have several and all have been flawless!!!

Feedback Score
    Short LOP stock, light and a two-point sling. If you must carry extra rounds on the gun, go with a 4-rd. Mesa. 870s get too heavy with lots of geegaws.

We issue the Fed Flite Control Wad 00 round and they shoot excessively tight patterns! Hand-with-spread fingers-sized at 20 yards in many of our IC BS 18-in. issue guns.

Call me a contrarian, but in these times if I want a tight group I'll shoot a carbine.

In shotgun situations, which to me are inside buildings or in heavy brush, I want buckshot to spread.

And, FWIW, if I need a slug it's to penetrate cover or auto coachwork so would prefer a fullpower Brenneke to a "tactical-low vel soft lead" load.
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 06-06-10 at 07:35.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Good points, Dan.

Another reason that many favor a 4-round Mesa unit over a 6 or 8-round, is the slide. Some slides will impact the front of the spare ammo carrier on a 6 or 8-round unit.

My 870 seems to pattern very well with the Brenneke Black Magic rifled slugs also. I think I have tried 4 different Brenneke slug loads, and all have patterned very well.

One reason why a tighter pattern may be handy, is to get a little more range out of a buckshot load. Sometimes we want spread, other times we don't. That Mesa sure comes in handy when I need to do a "select slug" drill, or switch to a wider patterning load. Truly the main reason many of us pick up a shotgun.

Not trying to derail the OP's thread any further, but I do like a carbine much more than a shotty. I think of the 12-gauge like I thought of mortars when I was in the military. Heavy, fires many different loads, and best left in one place pointed in a specific direction, rather than toted about the landscape. The shotgun is great for pointing at the bedroom door from behind the gunsafe. But wandering around with one? I'd much rather have an SBR.

There is a long thread on it in the tactics and training session.

</hijack>

CC4me, please do us a big favor, and give us an AAR after your class? I would be really interested in what you picked up from the class, and what changes you make based on it. Have a safe and fun trip!

Feedback Score
    Not to derail the topic, but concerning the LA class; what do you recommend for carry shotgun rounds? How are you carrying your spare rounds on your belt or chest rig? I know there is a lot of three gun gear, but I would like to hear from people who have taken a course..
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    are you coming to the class here in Pittsburgh in September ?

I am thinking of attending that one. Id love to train with Awerbuck, and I just picked up a shotty on trade from a member here (870 police with knoxx stock).

My delima is that I have plenty of pistol, some carbine, and no shotgun training. But Im just not sure if the shotgun will ever fill any kind of serious role in my life.

Of course I have learned things in several classes that translated to other areas. And a more well rounded skill set cant be a bad thing....................
    Up close, the shotgun is the most devestating (legal) weapon that one can reasonably wield.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast