Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just ordered a new 870P woohoo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmyk View Post
    Not to derail the topic, but concerning the LA class; what do you recommend for carry shotgun rounds? How are you carrying your spare rounds on your belt or chest rig? I know there is a lot of three gun gear, but I would like to hear from people who have taken a course..
    Thanks
    I don't know if the course material has changed a lot since 2001, but at the time I attended, most of us did fine with a sidesaddle and pants/vest pockets or belt carriers of some sort. Some guys had the California Competition Works shell caddies which were cool. Others had a belt-mounted shell pouch that carried loose rounds. One guy just stuffed the pockets of his Nomex flight suit with ammo.

Feedback Score
    SeriousStudent; oddly enough I took a pretty nice whitetail with a Black Magic out of my 14-in. work gun many years back. Bead sight, 32 yards. Bang, stagger, flop. This was hunting in thick woods, not roadside euthanasia of a cripple.

I've killed a doe that had been shot in the neck with a soft Foster slug and was healing nicely.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    SeriousStudent; oddly enough I took a pretty nice whitetail with a Black Magic out of my 14-in. work gun many years back. Bead sight, 32 yards. Bang, stagger, flop. This was hunting in thick woods, not roadside euthanasia of a cripple.

I've killed a doe that had been shot in the neck with a soft Foster slug and was healing nicely.
    Mmmm..... venison.

Yup, I have a friend in PA that used one of their slugs to take a deer also. She mentioned it to me, and I gave them a try. She said they patterned really well out of her Ithaca, and they do the same out of my 870.

Feedback Score
    And here she is after a few minor modifications. Started life as a Remington 870P. Bought it with the rifle night sites. Put on a Hogue 12" buttstock, Scatter Technologies 6 shell side saddle, Specter Gear CQB sling, GG&G flashlight rail mount, EagleTac T100C2 Mark II flashlight with remote pressure pad tail cap.

BTW, shooting Federal Low Recoil Tactical 00 Buck with FliteControl wad, she shoots 3 inch groups at 21 feet.

"You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Remember to let us know how the class works out this fall. "Lessons learned" help us all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Remember to let us know how the class works out this fall. "Lessons learned" help us all.
    I bought his video on combat shotguns as a primer. Can't wait for the real thing.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Excellent choice! You may want to consider a magazine tube extension. You should probably stick with a factory Remington tube though.

The 870P is my first and only go to defense shotgun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123