Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: checked out a "Remington" 1911 R1 at the gunshop today

Feedback Score

Thumbs down checked out a "Remington" 1911 R1 at the gunshop today

it's price was $619, and they just got it in yesterday.

i didn't shoot it, but this was what i noticed.

1. the fit is very unimpressive.

2. the beavertail safety wasn't blended to the frame properly, and also had VERY sharp edges at the tang. it was VERY uncomfortable simply to hold it, i can only imagine what shooting it would be like.

3. the slide/frame fit was not bad, although it did have vertical play.

4. the barrel to slide fit was awful. when locked up, the barrel had play in it. when the slide was closed, i pressed down on the barrel through the ejection port only to see movement-not good at all.

5. the barrel is hardly throated at all, and the frame feed ramp seemed rough.

6. it had an overall cheap feel to it. made in american does not mean much if it's not assembled properly.

7. the barrel bushing had a lot of space between it and the barrel-also not good.

8. the trigger was loosely fit and rattling. it also had about an 8lb pull

9. the wood checkered grips were the nicest thing on the gun.

just wanted to pass along my initial impressions. it falls way short of springfield armory's mil spec.
    Last edited by Assy Mcgee; 06-05-10 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if they make it themselves or more of the import stuff they have been selling lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver View Post
    Wonder if they make it themselves or more of the import stuff they have been selling lately?

according to their website, they make it themselves in america.

Feedback Score
    If that's the kind of fit and finish they sell, then I think I'd look at other competitively priced barebones 1911's...thanks for the heads up.
    "I just can't believe we're going to walk into certain death. " - Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Assy Mcgee View Post
    according to their website, they make it themselves in america.
    Thats what i was wondering.

Thanks for the info on the pistol OP. I will be at the fun shop next week and will see if they have one. Maybe not all are rough as you say.
    Last edited by Eddiesketti; 06-06-10 at 07:28. Reason: sp
    Looking for someone who can make a polygonal 1911 barrel for my father. IM me if you can help.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It would certainly be disheartening should this example prove to be representative of the entire R1 line, though we can't exactly react in astonishment. Assuming a baseline of quality parts, the difference between a good 1911 and a great one is bench time in the hands of a competent craftsman -- and that doesn't come cheap.

At a sub-$700 street price, it seems unlikely that the R1 is getting much more than a very basic assembly job with minimal fitting. Couple this with the fact that Remington's in-house expertise with the 1911 is almost certainly quite low at the moment, and you get ... well, the R1 that you saw in the shop yesterday.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    i am not really surprised by this at all..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiesketti View Post
    Thats what i was wondering.

Thanks for the info on the pistol OP. I will be at the fun shop next week and will see if they have one. Maybe not all are rough as you say.

the first thing you'll notice when you pick it up is how uncomfortably sharp the grip safety is.

keep us updated, my friend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i seem to recall predicting another second rate 1911 with this one

Feedback Score
    I can't beleive how bad remington has let some of it's products go. Sad is all I can say.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast