Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR SBR CQC replacement barrel

Dano5326 Guest
    What is unreasonable is to whine about a Belgian based company, producing war armaments, knee-deep in USG orders, not catering to a few US hobbyist desires.

If it was a commercially viable proposition, it would of happened already.

knock off gas block, enlarge hole, re-install. Or.. if you wanted something with more viable external ballistics & range of ammo which would function.. chop to 12-12.5". Likely no enlargement needed.

I would certainly like Toyota to offer front & rear air lockers on the 4x4 Tacoma... but recognize the liability which would be incurred by a big company offering this & realize they wouldn't sell the numbers required to make a go of it. Sometimes you have to man up, sort it out & make what you want.
    Last edited by Dano5326; 09-13-10 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    What is unreasonable is to whine about a Belgian based company, producing war armaments, knee-deep in USG orders, not catering to a few US hobbyist desires.

If it was a commercially viable proposition, it would of happened already.

Colt short barrels are plenty avaliable.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Having my SCAR barrel chopped and gas port tweaked was a whole helluva lot easier and quicker than having either of my krinkovs built. Would I prefer that factory 10" barrels are available? Yes, if reasonably priced. Obviously, as of now, spare barrels are not an option so I utilized the services of a gunsmith that I trusted and am happy with the end results. To date I have just over 500 rds with no issues. This may not be nearly enough rounds to convince the majority, however I will continue to report back as I get more shooting in. The paperwork, as always, was the most time consuming aspect.

Now carry on with the regularly scheduled whining about FN's lack of civvy support.

Cheers
    Life is like a shit sandwich...the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.

Dano5326 Guest
    Yeah, slipped my mind..... Colt just moved corporate hq.. now Belgian based too

Don't forget to retro-bitch about Colt's wrong sized pin holes, pinned in blocks and semi carriers...
    Last edited by Dano5326; 09-13-10 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    Yeah, slipped my mind..... Colt just moved corporate hq.. now Belgian based too

Don't forget to retro-bitch about Colt's wrong sized pin holes, pinned in blocks and semi carriers...

I'm sure there are plenty of impediments designed into the civilan SCAR to prevent it from becoming full auto.

FN has plenty of manufacturing capabilty in the US.

We are tired of aftermarket crap on quality weapons.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-13-10 at 16:14.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhoohaw View Post
    Having my SCAR barrel chopped and gas port tweaked was a whole helluva lot easier and quicker than having either of my krinkovs built. Would I prefer that factory 10" barrels are available? Yes, if reasonably priced. Obviously, as of now, spare barrels are not an option so I utilized the services of a gunsmith that I trusted and am happy with the end results. To date I have just over 500 rds with no issues. This may not be nearly enough rounds to convince the majority, however I will continue to report back as I get more shooting in. The paperwork, as always, was the most time consuming aspect.

Now carry on with the regularly scheduled whining about FN's lack of civvy support.

Cheers
    that looks effing great! big balls you have!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    O

Doing it right would require parts FN does not sell.

The SCAR is not an AR15. Gas is not regulated the same.

The fact remains; cut the SCAR barrel and all you have is an out of spec weapon with a voided warranty
    I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about and seem to be arguing for arguments sake. I have equipment (that I used in the SCAR vs AR thread) where I can take readings on my 16s, have the barrel chopped to 10" and adjust the gas port until it runs identical to the 16" variant. It is not rocket science, and the adjustment of the gas port is no different than with an AR/AK.....

We know you don't like the SCAR, we know you sold yours, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, please step aside and stop passing on mis-information.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Colt short barrels are plenty avaliable.
    Brother, nothing personal, but Colt is about the most F-d up gun company out there. If you believe otherwise you have your head in the sand. If it weren't for folks like Ken Elmore and Clyde Armory I'm quite sure there would not be so many "Colt" factory SBR's around.

Yea, in a perfect world you could order all available barrel lengths with your SCAR when you buy it. You could get HK416 uppers/rifles at the cost of what they're really worth. You could buy a Factory Colt 6933 with the right buffer and extractor spring straight from Colt instead of having to buy that stuff extra after you purchase the rifle, but it isn't perfect, it is what it is. Be glad we live somewhere where we can own the stuff we own.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 10-30-10 at 12:23.

Feedback Score
    All told, I have fired countless thousands of rounds through the SCAR variants.

3000+ since my 16S was SBR'd. Half of those with suppressor attached. Two malfunctions occurred over those 3000+ rounds, both from the same magazine. Got rid of the magazine at about round 1200(ish). Not a problem since.

I once had over 30 malfunctions in a single day with a brand new, unpacked it myself, Mk16 CQB. Took the FNH rep replacing the barrel and half of the internals to get it running properly. Once he did, it ran like a champ.

Done right, a 16S SBR can be as effective and reliable as a factory Mk16 CQB. And just because the barrel is factory doesn't mean it is immune to discrepancies.

I agree 100% that FNH should be offering components, to include barrels and spare parts, as well as the lesser known factory upgrades to the civilian shooting community. No argument from me about that.

Management does what management does. They have their reasons, however ridiculous they seem to the guys on the tail end. All the internet banter in the world will not change their minds, or policies, or regulations, or whatever it is that is driving their decisions.

FNH will release what it wants, when it wants, and to who it wants. It's not like someone held a gun to our heads and forced us to buy a newly designed and marketed gun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    All told, I have fired countless thousands of rounds through the SCAR variants.

3000+ since my 16S was SBR'd. Half of those with suppressor attached. Two malfunctions occurred over those 3000+ rounds, both from the same magazine. Got rid of the magazine at about round 1200(ish). Not a problem since.

I once had over 30 malfunctions in a single day with a brand new, unpacked it myself, Mk16 CQB. Took the FNH rep replacing the barrel and half of the internals to get it running properly. Once he did, it ran like a champ.

Done right, a 16S SBR can be as effective and reliable as a factory Mk16 CQB. And just because the barrel is factory doesn't mean it is immune to discrepancies.

I agree 100% that FNH should be offering components, to include barrels and spare parts, as well as the lesser known factory upgrades to the civilian shooting community. No argument from me about that.

Management does what management does. They have their reasons, however ridiculous they seem to the guys on the tail end. All the internet banter in the world will not change their minds, or policies, or regulations, or whatever it is that is driving their decisions.

FNH will release what it wants, when it wants, and to who it wants. It's not like someone held a gun to our heads and forced us to buy a newly designed and marketed gun.
    Exactly.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast