Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth, MUR or Rainier Arms UltraMatch Upper

Feedback Score

Stealth, MUR or Rainier Arms UltraMatch Upper

I have deceided to built a new upper instead of just rebarreling my upper. So the question becomes which of these 3 uppers is the best one in regauds be true dimensionally and not put any stress/binding/torque on the BCG. I am concernd about the mechanical aspect not the looks of the upper reciever

I have heard good things about the Stealth uppers being vey good, but I don't know much about the other 2 brands other then what I have read at their websites about tolerances.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I'm not aware of any testing that has been done on the 3 that would really show any significant differences.

Im on my 2nd complete Stealth upper, and like them a lot but I don't really think you could go wrong with any of them. Both my Stealths were super smooth right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would add in Sun Devil for a comparison.

LaRue Stealth
    Sun Devil billet
    VLTOR MUR
    Rainier UltraMatch

Isn't VLTOR the only one which is forged in this group?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Isn't VLTOR the only one which is forged in this group?

from there website:

"Prior to machining, the forging is fully stress relieved, heat treated, aged twice and undergoes a proprietary cryogenic treatment"

not sure how one age's steel twice let alone once.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    from there website:

"Prior to machining, the forging is fully stress relieved, heat treated, aged twice and undergoes a proprietary cryogenic treatment"

not sure how one age's steel twice let alone once.
    aluminum?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rav3nwulfe View Post
    aluminum?
    Yeah, aluminum is what I meant.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Aging has something to do with hardening.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Uppers

I've got a 16" Stealth upper I bought directly from Larue and MUR with a 13.7" Noveske barrel in 6.8. Both are incredibly solid and shoot without a hitch, however, the Larue is a bit lighter. I'd say just pick one and don't look back, you'll just drive yourself nuts.

My Stealth upper with the 1/8 twist will eat any ammo I feed it and still deliver good results. It's amazing to see what good ammo can deliver in terms of accuracy. I started shooting federal 55 Gr with approx. 2" groups, switched to Black Hills 75 Gr and was sub MOA. I can't attest lowest limits of the stealth because, frankly, I don't shoot that well .

Feedback Score
    from http://www.secowarwick.com/solutionheat.html

Aging is a change in the properties of certain metals and alloys that occurs at ambient or moderately elevated temperatures after hot working or a heat treatment or after a cold working operation. The change in properties is often, but not always, due to a phase change (precipitation), but never involves a change in chemical composition of the metal or alloy.

Artificial aging is aging above room temperature.

Ty Hoeffer
    Palmyra, VA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pth3k View Post
    from http://www.secowarwick.com/solutionheat.html

Aging is a change in the properties of certain metals and alloys that occurs at ambient or moderately elevated temperatures after hot working or a heat treatment or after a cold working operation. The change in properties is often, but not always, due to a phase change (precipitation), but never involves a change in chemical composition of the metal or alloy.

Artificial aging is aging above room temperature.

Ty Hoeffer
    Palmyra, VA
    Thank you for that tidbit of information. It lead me on a 2 hour search on Wikipedia to learn even more about metallurgy. Now I just wish RA and LaRue post the stuff that they do they upper receivers like Vltor does. It's starting to look like a MUR in my future. Just need to call them about the rivits issue that I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast