Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lightest CAR handguard/rail?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

lightest CAR handguard/rail?

Is there a good reference comparing the weights of various handguard or rail options for CAR (or MID) length ARs?

I'm trying to build the lightest AR I can. I'm wondering if there are any railed handguard options that are lighter than the standard (non-railed) handguard.

I'm particularly interested in the Troy TRX. I think I need the 7.2 inch version if I'm going to keep the standard front sight at the CAR mount position.

Does anybody have suggestions or knows the weights of the standard CAR length handguard, the Troy TRX 7.2, or other lightweight railed handguard options?

TIA!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Troy TRX extreme is probably what you want.

Also its worth noting that the stock FSB weighs 5.5 ounces. It would be as light if not lighter to to get a 9 inch TRX, DD front sight and low pro gas block. You get two inches more FF tube for no extra weight. YOu also get the option to mount a surefire X300 at 12oc.

USGI (Colt) M4 handguards
    Delta Ring Assembly
    OEM Barrel Nut
    Handguard Cap
    9.1 oz

DDM4 7" Carbine Rail
    8.4 oz

The DD is actually a .7 oz lighter

For the Worlds Best Gunfighter Training
    Please visit http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gunfighters

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    Wow! That was a quick response.

Would it look funny to remove the front sight base and mount a 7.2 inch Troy TRX Extreme on a 16 inch barrel? This is for a 9 mm AR, so there won't be a gas block extending past the rail/handguard.

I'm guessing the Troy TRX Extreme 7.2 inch with a Magpul BUIS front sight instead of the standard front sight base will be the lightest setup. This should save 2.3 oz in handguard weight and 5.5 oz in FSB weight, for a total savings of 7.8 oz.

If the 7.2 inch TRX on a 16 inch barrel looks funny, I can use the 9 inch TRX for an additional 1.5 oz, with a total savings of 6.3 oz, which is 1/3 pound.

Do these estimate sound reasonable? Does the Troy TRX Extreme include its own barrel nut in its weight? TIA!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i think the 7 inch rail would look funny on a 16 barrel. The 9 inch rail would also give you more are to hold the gun forward. Go with 9.
    Last edited by grunz; 06-08-10 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoCompanyUSA View Post

USGI (Colt) M4 handguards
    Delta Ring Assembly
    OEM Barrel Nut
    Handguard Cap
    9.1 oz

DDM4 7" Carbine Rail
    8.4 oz

The DD is actually a .7 oz lighter
    I always thought it was funny to see guys going the KISS route to save weight when the DD rail assemblies weigh less than the standard barrel nut/delta ring/handguard assembly. When you add in the extra FSB weight too, you could get 2 more inches of rail and a rail mounted front sight for less weight still. And then on top of all that they put on a carry handle which weighs a wopping 9oz. as opposed to an MBUS or DD rear sight which are sub 2oz. I could put on my micro T-1 in a LaRue QD mount (6oz.) and a rear MBUS for less weight than their carry handle.

Anyways, KISS hater rant off. haha.
    Last edited by ROGOPGEAR; 06-09-10 at 15:27.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have the Troy TRX 7.6 inch on my lightweight. It’s 7.5oz with the barrel nut, so the 7.2 would be a little less.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rav3nwulfe View Post
    Anyways, KISS hater rant off. haha.
    I'd say that makes you precisely the opposite.

The 'nouveau' KISS is going to be Aimpoint Micros, light BUIS, and a simple handguard/light setup.
    I've got three of these (fixed front, Aimpoint Micro, MBUS Rear, Surefire 6V)
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Well, I think my dream 9 mm AR will have a 14" barrel with permanent flash hider for 16" overall length. Troy TRX handguard/rail - still deciding between 7.2, 7.6, and 9 inches. Magpul MBUS front and rear sights. I was never planning on a carry handle and I'll remove the standard FSB. Is there anything else I can do to reduce weight?

I say that's my dream 9 mm configuration because the reality of money may cause me to just get a complete upper with standard front handguards. I'll still have to decide between CAR and MID length handguards.

Thanks for all the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast