Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet jammed in Barrel. How to Remove?

Feedback Score

Bullet jammed in Barrel. How to Remove?

Was out shooting my S&W M&P 15X today when I had a "slight" malfunction. A round failed to extract and the next round jammed it tightly into the chamber end of the barrel. Any one have any advice as to how I should try to get this round out? Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I read in one of Gotm4s posts he did it by filling the barrel with water then slowly pushing a one piece cleaning rod down the barrel (not using the rod itself but hydraulic pressure)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I read in one of Gotm4s posts he did it by filling the barrel with water then slowly pushing a one piece cleaning rod down the barrel (not using the rod itself but hydraulic pressure)
    That sounds interesting. May have to give it a try tomorrow after work. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Must have had a tight patch on the jag , rod alone is not tight enough to form a seal .

Take your cleaning rod , no jag , push 2 patches down the bore , pack them tight with the rod , start by dropping rod from half way up the bore , or tap with a small mallet . Should work , its not as jammed as you think it is .

If the case is still whole ya dont need the patches , they are to protect the thread on the cleaning rod . If the stuck round is fired , just do the rod drop or smack the rod .
    Last edited by FindCover; 06-08-10 at 21:34. Reason: ryan brought up a point .

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Should work as long as the case is intact, if its not u need a broken shell extractor (cheap insurance and should be in everyones range bag IMO). Im sure a more knowledgable member will be along shortly if I'm incorrect or there is a better way.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindCover View Post
    Must have had a tight patch on the jag , rod alone is not tight enough to form a seal .

Take your cleaning rod , no jag , push 2 patches down the bore , pack them tight with the rod , start by dropping rod from half way up the bore , or tap with a small mallet . Should work , its not as jammed as you think it is .
    Ah I knew I missed something

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    squib rod may help.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 06-08-10 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    squib rod may help.
    UHMMMM, FYI , thats for a pistol .

OP , do we still have a head on the stuck case ???
    Last edited by FindCover; 06-08-10 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The last time I had this happen I used a penetrating oil instead of the water method. Fill the barrel with the penetrating oil and let it sit for a few hours. After soaking for a few hours the round came out with very little effort.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 06-09-10 at 05:22.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The water method works on a very hot gun and stuck casing. The water cools the casing down and makes it contract. Stuck projectiles are another matter all together.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast