Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet jammed in Barrel. How to Remove?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindCover View Post
    UHMMMM, FYI , thats for a pistol .

OP , do we still have a head on the stuck case ???
    LOL...your right...was not using my noodle

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Have you tried removing the mag and letting the bolt close on the shell, then either pull like hell on the ch handle or holding the ch handle and slamming the rifle on the ground with the but of the gun and allowing the extractor to do it's job. Penetrating oil will help this as well. Good thing no one was shooting back.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The topic says "bullet jammed in barrel" but the text says it was a failure to extract a round (I'm guessing spent casing). I'm confused.

So do/did you
    1) have a spent casing that failed to eject and is stuck in the chamber and if so is the rim still intact
    2) have a squib round and there is a bullet still lodged in the barrel or
    3) do you have a round that failed to fire and still could possibly be live stuck in the chamber

Just thought it might be safer to clarify exactly what's going on first; especially if its #3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    The topic says "bullet jammed in barrel" but the text says it was a failure to extract a round (I'm guessing spent casing). I'm confused.

So do/did you
    1) have a spent casing that failed to eject and is stuck in the chamber and if so is the rim still intact
    2) have a squib round and there is a bullet still lodged in the barrel or
    3) do you have a round that failed to fire and still could possibly be live stuck in the chamber

Just thought it might be safer to clarify exactly what's going on first; especially if its #3

I understand the confusion. I can't tell if the round fired properly. I can see the bottom of a casing/bullet stuck in the barrel. There is a dent as if the firing pin made contact with the bullet. Last shot was a muffled thump instead of a full normal sound. Rim is indeed intact. I don't know what to use to grab the stuck round and pull it out. Used a pair of needle nose pliers, but I can't get a good grip. Tried using a cleaning rod from the other end, but it will not push the round out. I'm really frustrated, because I've had NO problems at all until this..... ARRRGGGG.

By the way, I appreciate all the ideas ya'll have shared. Keep them coming.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg64 View Post
    I understand the confusion. I can't tell if the round fired properly. I can see the bottom of a casing/bullet stuck in the barrel. There is a dent as if the firing pin made contact with the bullet. Last shot was a muffled thump instead of a full normal sound. Rim is indeed intact. I don't know what to use to grab the stuck round and pull it out. Used a pair of needle nose pliers, but I can't get a good grip. Tried using a cleaning rod from the other end, but it will not push the round out. I'm really frustrated, because I've had NO problems at all until this..... ARRRGGGG.

By the way, I appreciate all the ideas ya'll have shared. Keep them coming.
    I'd use the charging handle and let the extractor pull the round out like normal.

And here's a bit of nomenclature:

Case: The brass casing
    Bullet: The projectile itself
    Round: A case, primer, powder, and round, all assembled properly

I don't wanna come off as a jerk, but like the other guy, I saw bullet and thought "squib?" Anyways, the point is that we all have to start somewhere, and I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

Something else, if you are concerned about a bullet in the barrel, when you drop the rod down the muzzle, measure the distance it goes in relative to the length of the barrel. If its coming up short (keep in mind you have to consider the size of the round itself) then you might have a stuck bullet. If it goes all the way, you have a stuck case, and if its pretty much there, but not to the bottom of the case, then odds are its a stuck round.

I'd really try using the charging handle if possible. And remember, when things get stuck, oil is our friend.
    Last edited by BushmasterFanBoy; 06-09-10 at 13:48.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"bullet" is one part of the cartridge... we don't know if it's a stuck bullet, stuck fired casing with no bullet, or stuck unfired cartridge
    Last edited by bkb0000; 06-09-10 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    You guys are the greatest. I managed to get the "case" out with some help from penetrating oil as mentioned earlier. All this is still very new to me, so I again want to say thanks for the advice and the grammar lessons as well.

As a side note, what causes this kind of thing? I was using Silver Bear ammo 62 gr when it happened. I have run 100+ rounds of it through the gun before last night's episode.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    silver bear is really dirty... creates a thick, tacky sooth when firing. add to this the fact that steel cases (which silver bear is) don't expand and seal the chamber as well as brass, allowing that tacky soot to get into your chamber.

stuck cases are more common with steel cased ammo. it's just a hazard of using cheap ammo... don't have to stop using it, just make sure to scrub out your chamber after using it.

Feedback Score
    I guess it was a quick lesson learned. I have disassembled and cleaned this thing after every outing except this one. I told my son that I wanted to see if it would make any difference if I skipped one. I just made sure it was lubed and went at it. Strange that this happened so quickly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BKB is right it is a reality of using steel that some times come up.

It is also a reality of your particular brand of firearm as I have the same company and this has been the only malfunction I have seen manifest in the rifle. Stick around this site and learn as much as you can, as some of what I am going to say may sound a bit confusing.

My SW had a tight chamber and I had this same malfunction with steel ammo. I actually returned my gun to SW and had them polish the chamber for me and make sure it was a true 5.56. They returned it within a week and I never had the problem again.

However one of the changes they did is they replaced the extractor spring, and put an o-ring on the spring making the extractor more effective. You can search this in the forums to learn more about it. This however resulted in me having the same problem (failure to extract) with cheap romanian brass ammo because the extractor ripped the lip of the casing completely off.

SW's guns according to this forum are over gassed meaning that the extraction process is more violent then it should be. I recently replaced my buffer with an H buffer (it's like a 20 dollar part) and haven't had any problems since.

Cheap ammo will cause malfunctions, but shouldn't put you out of action. Do some research on this forum and learn as much as you can about how your rifle functions.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged!
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast