Thread: Greed or Evolution - Death of the Big 12

Feedback Score

Greed or Evolution - Death of the Big 12

We all know that money is driving the death of the Big 12 conference. Is the demise of the conference a sign of man's greed or is it a sign of Darwin's theory in action? I find it hard to believe that the schools in the Big 12 are unsatisfied with the strength of the conference. The Big 12 has been a fixture in the BCS along with the SEC. So the motivation to leave the conference must be monetary. How do all of you feel about this?

Just so everyone knows I'm a lifelong SEC man (Go Gators!!!).

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There are a couple of big conference/tv network negotiations beginning in 2011.

Money.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm sure money has alot to do with it.But both Nebraska and Missouri(the catalysts for the fall of the B12) have plenty of other "issues" with the conference.

The way revenue is shared is just one way they feel they've been disrespected.

Texas is the B12 and alot of schools aren't happy about being in their shadow and taking their scraps(how they feel).

I think the jury is out on whether all of the realignment is a good or bad thing(and will be for awhile).I find it very exciting though...I think it will bring about a playoff.

...How about USC getting hammered.

Go Blue!
    Last edited by Jerm; 06-11-10 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I guess I am a "traditionalist" and would prefer them iron out their differences yet remain the Big 12. I believe greed is the carrot that drove this engine.

Boy, did the NCAA hammer USC. If they enforce the vacated wins then should they lose the Heisman, too? As a retired athlete I'd not want the award in that manner but USC & Reggie Bush (with Pete Carroll to an unknown extent) violated the rules.

Unfortunately, USC is not alone in NCAA violations. On the whole it was a very harsh sentence.

Feedback Score
    How do they share the revenue in the Big 12? I am guessing that they don't give everyone an equal 12th. I can see why Nebraska would feel slighted but they have done much in the past 10 years.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If they enforce the vacated wins then should they lose the Heisman, too?
    That seems to be the only way Bush gets any personal punishment.So I'm all for it.That's up to the Heisman comittee though.I doubt they strip it.

It would be nice if the primary villains actually got hit with something...Rather than a bunch of kids who were barely in HS(not even,in many cases).

I understand why they punish the program...Still...

I guess they have an easy road for transfer at least(especially the juniors/seniors).No sitting out for a year under the circumstances.The fresh/soph still need to jump through a hoop or two.

I think the 30 scholarships hurts more than the 2 year bowl ban.Either way their recruiting is going to be nonexistent for awhile.

It's going to take a good 5-6 years(minimum) to shake this off(look at Miami).They may never be the same.

How do they share the revenue in the Big 12? I am guessing that they don't give everyone an equal 12th.
    Definitely not equal shares (the Big 10 is).I don't recall the exact numbers or percentages...

But I remember Missouri for example getting a small fraction of the pie.I'm pretty sure it's a much smaller pie than the B10 to begin with(I hear they're making a killing with the tv network)...No wonder they're jumping up and down "Take us!Take us!".

As mentioned there's alot of animosity there to begin with as well.I've heard rumblings that even if the B12 survived they were thinking of voting out Missouri.Not sure if there's any truth to it.

Edit-Just heard on ESPN that Nebraska will be getting an extra 10 million a year in the B10.I'm pretty sure they were already getting more than Missouri...Or Colorado(gone to Pac-10).
    Last edited by Jerm; 06-12-10 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    There are a couple of big conference/tv network negotiations beginning in 2011.

Money.
    Looking at the economic forecasts, I am curious if the new TV negotiations are going to be a bit disappointing for the sports' programs.
    Will CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc be able to throw around the big $$ when GM, Chrysler, etc are not as healthy as they were when the previous contracts were signed? I would think that you cannot make a phone number offer to the NCAA when you are bringing in a ZIP code worth of ad revenue.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I look for the other conferences to follow the B10 and start their own networks.There's already alot of talk from the Pac-10 and SEC.Texas was considering starting one on their own...

I think that's what's driving alot of expansion talk outside of typical geograhic areas.It's all about getting demand for your network(or future network) in the most/largest markets possible.

...Get rid of the middle man(ESPN etc).

They can still sell the bigger games to the big networks while getting paid by sat/cable providers.My guess is that any of the potential "super conference" networks will be basic programming in every region where they have teams(and many they don't).
    Last edited by Jerm; 06-12-10 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    I look for the other conferences to follow the B10 and start their own networks.There's already alot of talk from the Pac-10 and SEC.Texas was considering starting one on their own...

I think that's what's driving alot of expansion talk outside of typical geograhic areas.It's all about getting demand for your network(or future network) in the most/largest markets possible.

...Get rid of the middle man(ESPN etc).

They can still sell the bigger games to the big networks while getting paid by sat/cable providers.My guess is that any of the potential "super conference" networks will be basic programming in every region where they have teams(and many they don't).
    I just wonder what that will do for times and such. With the big ten, we will have 6 games that matter per day, so running from noon to 9pm start does not cover it all. What teams are left out, are there regional big ten affiliates? It becomes a giant mess if this is the route, but I think it will be the best route. Perhaps I will get the PSU feed I so desire living in PA, and maybe I lose the Iowa feed, who knows.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As mentioned,they can still sell coverage of some games to other networks.

Also,on my Dish satellite the Big 10 Network has alternate channels as well.So they can broadcast more than one game at a time.I'm not sure how that would work on cable(I assume the same)...Haven't used cable in over a decade.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone in the country can get all of the B10 coverage.Either as part of basic programming or as an upgrade of some sort.
    Last edited by Jerm; 06-13-10 at 10:52.