Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hammer forged barrels vs standard barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    If you're shooting more than 6K+ rounds per 12months IMHO you should have a hammer forged barrel. Sure other barrels will still serve you well but the hammer forged will serve you even better. In my experience in seeing lots and lots of barrels from all manufacturers is that hammer forged chrome lined barrels wear the longest. Wear occurs fastest in stainless barrels followed by carbon steel non-chrome lined barrels, followed by non-hammer forged chrome barrels, and followed by hammer forged chrome lined barrels using 11595-E lasting the longest. Hammer forging is the VERY best way to make a gun barrel. Coincidently the companies using 11595-E barrel steel (and can prove it) also know something about having the right sized gas ports....kinda comes with the territory.
    Are the DD barrels 11595E? I've inquired directly to Daniel Defense without answer.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs100 View Post
    Are the DD barrels 11595E? I've inquired directly to Daniel Defense without answer.
    Don't know I think they're 4150 or CMV but FWIW I've yet to see a shotout DD barrel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    no offense but shooting yotes at 500yds and your op really don't blend well.

I would prefer a precision stainless upper w/ dedicated hunting optics for that application.
    no offense taken. it was just a case of the coyote presented the opportunity so i had to try. so what I've gathered is that its a faster way of producing consistent barrels , just that initial invest is not cheap therefore will drive the price up to recoup initial investment . and with the difference of 70.00 for BCM CHF vs standard it's not dramatic when broken down against longer barrel life
    Last edited by tommyrott; 06-13-10 at 23:32. Reason: correcting my self

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12