Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hammer forged barrels vs standard barrels

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

hammer forged barrels vs standard barrels

could some one explain to me why i should pay more money for a hammer forged barrel when once the chrome lining has been applied the barrel life is the same as a standard barrel, also explain why i should pay more for something that is produced at a lower cost compared other manufacturing processes. and if this has been discussed before please direct me to the threads, search just gives me a blank page or the try again in 30 seconds message

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your assumption is incorrect. CHF barrels have a far greater life expectancy than other types, chrome lining nothwithstanding.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tommy, I asked the same question about why the chf are more robust when it comes to hard use and a battle gun & I also had some questions about the mandrells use and the tooling process. Hopefully, someone will share the same link as it was quite informative.

Not sure I can 100% wrap my head around the entire deal but i think it really boils down to your shooting style and buying habits. I have always tried to be a buy once, cry once money spender (when I can). If you are going to shoot 500-1000 rounds a year, I'm not sure you could really tell the difference, but you aren't talking a huge difference to get the better tube. If you run the gun hard, then buying the best bbl is the only way to go as you are going to spend a ton more in ammo.

You can actually apply your question to most of the AR's components / add ons & you just got to roll with your wallet size and make a decision based on saving to get the better upgrade or settling.

example:I really wanted an AAC or Surefire suppressor for my sbr but got a crazy deal on phantom from my class iii compadre. I could not justify paying what was over double with the budget I had at the time. I don't like the weight of the can I have but know I'll be able to swing a top shelf can down the road.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For most everyday shooters, ones that shoot every now and then, 2000 rounds a year, etc, the standard barrel will do just fine. The steel structure is more dense, providing more life for higher round, full auto, shooting. So, if one has the funds, why not go with the hammer forged barrel.

Here are a few threads on the subject:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52759

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37969

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53425

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33626

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Your assumption is incorrect. CHF barrels have a far greater life expectancy than other types, chrome lining nothwithstanding.
    i base it on the thread where pat rogers talks about loaner rifle #14 having 35,000+ rnds through it with out serious diminished accuracy.
    he said it was a standard BCM upper, also on the fact that it is the chrome lining that is wearing not the barrel, so that if you have a quality barrel, with properly applied chrome lining i don't understand the difference. i know that the hammer forged will be a denser barrel but again its the lining bearing the wear . I should qualify that most my shooting is at 3-gun matches with some practice in between matches (5-6,000 rnds a year) so with a life expectancy of 10-15,000 rnds from a BM barrel,it would only last 3 years at that rate.
    i would like to replace my present BM barrel with a more durable one with a 1-7 so that i have greater reach with heavier rounds. i shoot 69 grain almost exclusively,
    Last edited by tommyrott; 06-14-10 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ask Gotm4 aka Robb about some of the CHF barrels throats he has borescoped and how they compare to standard barrels.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    could some one explain to me why i should pay more money for a hammer forged barrel when once the chrome lining has been applied the barrel life is the same as a standard barrel, also explain why i should pay more for something that is produced at a lower cost compared other manufacturing processes. and if this has been discussed before please direct me to the threads, search just gives me a blank page or the try again in 30 seconds message
    Chrome lining will eventually erode away at the throat until its down to bare steel that is why Hammer forged barrel really starts to be a benefit once it is down to the bare steel compared to a none hammer forged barrel. Hammer forged barrels started in Germany in wwII The MG-34 and MG-42 would burn up barrels in a hot fast minute literally. Hammer forged barrels can be made fast some hammer forged barrels the chamber and the throat will be formed at the same time the rifling is formed this allows VERY consistent chamber and throat has they are not cut out and not subject to reamer wear. Hammer forged machines COST Million's so the cost of the machine has to be payed for. Does every body need hammer forged barrels NO only if your goal is to have the longest barrel life possible should some one consider it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    no offense but shooting yotes at 500yds and your op really don't blend well.

I would prefer a precision stainless upper w/ dedicated hunting optics for that application.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    i base it on the thread where pat rogers talks about loaner rifle #14 having 35,000+ rnds through it with out serious diminished accuracy.
    he said it was a standard BCM upper, also on the fact that it is the chrome lining that is wearing not the barrel, so that if you have a quality barrel, with properly applied chrome lining i don't understand the difference. i know that the hammer forged will be a denser barrel but again its the lining bearing the wear . I should qualify that most my shooting is at 3-gun matches with some practice in between matches (5-6,000 rnds a year) so with a life expectancy of 10-15,000 rnds from a BM barrel,it would only last 3 years at that rate.
    i would like to replace my present BM barrel with a more durable one with a 1-7 so that i have greater reach with heavier rounds. i shoot 69 grain almost exclusively, tried to take out a coyote at 500+ yards
    expended 10 rnds and could see rounds impacting all around it with out a single hit (his lucky day) so would like to improve that issue

Throats erode faster than the rifling will, and it depends on the round how quickly that happens. Go ask a .264 Win Mag or 30-378 WBY user how quickly they need to change barrels. Those things go in under 2k rounds MAX, and under 1k if they are fired well enough. The rifling on those guns would appear "mint" yet the throat is so eroded the barrel is near worthless.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you're shooting more than 6K+ rounds per 12months IMHO you should have a hammer forged barrel. Sure other barrels will still serve you well but the hammer forged will serve you even better. In my experience in seeing lots and lots of barrels from all manufacturers is that hammer forged chrome lined barrels wear the longest. Wear occurs fastest in stainless barrels followed by carbon steel non-chrome lined barrels, followed by non-hammer forged chrome barrels, and followed by hammer forged chrome lined barrels using 11595-E lasting the longest. Hammer forging is the VERY best way to make a gun barrel. Coincidently the companies using 11595-E barrel steel (and can prove it) also know something about having the right sized gas ports....kinda comes with the territory.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast