Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt M4 will not be allowed to compete in Army carbine replacement trials

Feedback Score

Colt M4 will not be allowed to compete in Army carbine replacement trials

So, here are my thoughts on this.

Either the Army is adamant about really changing, or if the M4 comes in dead last, or not first, there will be no egg on face and need to back pedal like the "dust test"

I am skeptical about the prospect of the Army adopting a new carbine, and all participants will be wasting their time. Even so, wager on this being the biggest political and corrupt mess seen in a long time. This is going to make the M9 trials seem like paradise in comparison

Bank on M4 with "improvements", not a new weapon system.

Read whole story here:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0...ition-092510w/

Tough test for companies in carbine competition
    By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
    Posted : Saturday Sep 25, 2010 12:54:12 EDT
    The M4 will not compete in the forthcoming carbine competition, according to the colonel in charge. But, he adds, the winner will have to score “a knockout” if it expects to replace the Army’s primary weapon for the past 20 years....
    We'll see
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-26-10 at 03:08.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    If the Handgun trials were any indication, this will not end well.

Not sure how you all feel about the M9 but a friend of mine that got back a short time ago was telling me that his unit figures the M9 is more useful to throw at an enemy to distract them while you reload your Primary than it is as a handgun.

Feedback Score
    KWELS - That was both an uniformed and unitelligent comment. The M9 when properly maintained and fed through quality magazines is a very reliable weapon and has ended the lives of many enemy combatants.

Variable - I cant help but wonder if they made that decision as a fallback so that nobody themselves included has objective data one way or the other. This way they can make the decision they want to to. If they prove the SCAR, ACR, HK416, etc perform exceptionally better than the M4 in this direct head to head competition then they have no grounds for recourse politically to protect them if they decide on the cost/benefit analysis that its not enought of an improvement for them to upgrade. Just a theory.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Medik, if you read my post I said I am going off of a friends experience while in Iraq.
    It is far from the first time I have heard complaints about the M9. Mainly they revolve around the short overall life of the gun and the frailty of them in general.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Why do people continue to defend the M9?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let's not derail this thread before it gets started, ok guys?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I highly doubt that the army is going to get funding for new rifles during the current administration, so the test may simply be an academic exercise. As for not letting the M4 compete, I think if the M4 did poorly, the criticism of it would get much louder, to the embarrassment of the Army. So better to not let it compete.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Regardless, the level of bureaucratic cover-ass is astronomical. The 'improvement' will likely not even be quantified in significant ways, which dims even the possibility of just purchasing improved modular uppers (regardless of source).

The M4 and M9 are both better weapon systems if you make more intelligent training and ammunition selections for COIN use (at least we're getting Mk318).

It's not as though the funding isn't possible. It's just getting frittered away on crap like iPhones for recruits.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The M4 should be the control group.......everything else is the experiment. Not including the M4 in the testing is an absolute asinine idea.

This may be the only way the US military can avoid some lawsuits. Excluding the current weapon system from the competition to avoid getting bogged down in lawsuits and appeals may be the only way to get a new infantry weapon adopted. They may have to exclude Beretta from a new handgun competition too.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    I highly doubt that the army is going to get funding for new rifles during the current administration, so the test may simply be an academic exercise. As for not letting the M4 compete, I think if the M4 did poorly, the criticism of it would get much louder, to the embarrassment of the Army. So better to not let it compete.
    Let's keep in mind that the M4 is excluded, but Colt is not.

Colt could easily submit a highly modified M4 to compete. While I don't claim to have first hand knowledge, I think the Army means the M4 as it is issued will be denied entry.

I would bet that the majority of entries will be AR15 variants.

A potential list of companies and products that I imagine will participate

FN SCAR
    Beretta ARX160
    Robarm XCR
    HK 416
    Remington ACR
    CZ 805 BREN A1
    LWRC M6XX
    LMT MRP Piston
    Barret Rec7
    Colt ???
    Daniel Defense ??? Probably a middy
    SIG 516 or 556

The bragging rights that will go to the winner will be unmatched, except by the 40 Watt Plasma rifle
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-25-10 at 21:34.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast