Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Be an informed consumer!

Feedback Score
    They purchase their parts from a manufacturing source.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    Since I was one of those "I don't need the best" guys in the beginning of my AR experience I have to say this. I can spend $105 on a Del-Ton BCG, and have, not knowing exactly what I am getting. Or I can spend $140 on a Bravo Company BCG and know the bolt is HP/MPI tested and is at least held to Mil-Spec standards. Same with the upper, lowers, barrels, etc.
    It's a relatively small difference in price to know that the part will more than likely not only work and fit correctly, but even stand up to abuse.
    I just read a posting about a bolt from Del-Ton that sheared lugs off after less than 500 rounds. That's not saying they all do, but when is the last time you heard of a BCM Bolt failing in 500 rounds?
    I don't like wasting money and do not have to have the best. I can't afford it. But I've learned over the years that in the long run, I don't save anything by buying the least expensive. Now I pay the extra for a part I know will stand up and work correctly.
    Buy once, cry once. I have a big tupperware tub full of cheap parts I bought over the years. None are in or on my rifles anymore.
    Dave
    I'm with you on this one. I may not be a LEO/MIL, or even a hard use competitor, but all of my firearms decisions end up being stuff I feel I can depend on if I were to run em hard. I own stuff like Noveske, Colt, GLOCK, and so on....see what I mean? I want to depend on what I shoot, not just now, at my weekly or monthly range trips, but down the road as well, even if my needs change.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    BM, Oly, DPMS, etc. HAVE a lot of customers (and contracts).
    KIA sells a lot of cars and McDonalds sells a lot of cheeseburgers.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    KIA sells a lot of cars and McDonalds sells a lot of cheeseburgers.

C4
    Yup. My point was that Bo-Hoss said that a company would only buy C158 if they had a large customer base or a large amount of contracts. All the companies I listed have that - they don't buy C158 because it cuts into their bottom line...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    I don't think we are comparing apples to apples here..

I never said, "a company would only buy C158 if they had a large customer base or a large amount of contracts" . I apologize if I did not fully articulate my words.
    BM,DPMS,OLY,etc. do not make all of their own parts in-house. They use outside vendors and buy what they need to fill their specific specs/demands.(Which is totally ok)
    Buying a full lot of "raw" C158 is different from buying a finished part machined from C158.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    LOL, could be. Why anyone would be upset about knowing what they don't know is beyond me.

C4
    Some people have an emotional attachment to their gear.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bo-hoss View Post
    I don't think we are comparing apples to apples here..

I never said, "a company would only buy C158 if they had a large customer base or a large amount of contracts" . I apologize if I did not fully articulate my words.
    BM,DPMS,OLY,etc. do not make all of their own parts in-house. They use outside vendors and buy what they need to fill their specific specs/demands.(Which is totally ok)
    Buying a full lot of "raw" C158 is different from buying a finished part machined from C158.
    Hate to bring up a month old post, but the only items on an Olympic AR that are outsourced at present are springs and pins. Everything else is produced by Olympic Arms. The plastic parts are not made at the Oly plant, but they are made in Washington State on Oly designed molds...My source for this info is Oly's marketing honcho.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LOL, could be. Why anyone would be upset about knowing what they don't know is beyond me.

C4
    I reject your reality.

This is helpful information though, thank you.
    Last edited by stifled; 07-17-10 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ AR View Post
    Hate to bring up a month old post, but the only items on an Olympic AR that are outsourced at present are springs and pins. Everything else is produced by Olympic Arms. The plastic parts are not made at the Oly plant, but they are made in Washington State on Oly designed molds...My source for this info is Oly's marketing honcho.
    I stand corrected....

Question...
    If they can machine the bolt,bolt carriers, barrel extensions,barrels, and both upper and lower forgings in house, I wonder why they don't do the pins in house?? (Cam, detent, takedown and pivot pins, ejector pin, extractor pin)

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    BM, Oly, DPMS, etc. HAVE a lot of customers (and contracts).
    All this means is that agencies/individuals purchase based solely on price point, not quality.

Every class I've attended, where someone was running an Oly/DPMS etc, they had some type of reliability issues.

These days, you can purchase a quality weapon from a reputable manufacturer without breaking the bank (BCM comes to mind).
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast