Thread: Dropping the hammer with no upper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Dropping the hammer with no upper

I know this cannot be a good thing to do. Can you damage anything in the lower? I had a tard moment and let it drop
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    I know this cannot be a good thing to do. Can you damage anything in the lower? I had a tard moment and let it drop
    It's very possible. I bought a DPMS lower from someone who needed money quickly. I didn't inspect it closely until I got it home and found evidence of peening where the hammer would impact the lower receiver. A magazine catch would not fit in the slot until it was opened up and even now it has less than optimal engagment. I'll probably sell it to someone I thing has no business owning a firearm one day.

Feedback Score
    Yes, doing so can potentially break your bolt catch. Check it for signs of cracking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
    I'll probably sell it to someone I thing has no business owning a firearm one day.
    That's nice. Im not sure whether or not I should feel guilty for laughing.
    On a more serious note, is it not engaging from still catching the skewed portion or has opening it up caused lateral movement inside the now larger slot?
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 06-12-10 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. I feel better now.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    That's nice. Im not sure whether or not I should feel guilty for laughing.
    On a more serious note, is it not engaging from still catching the skewed portion or has opening it up caused lateral movement inside the now larger slot?
    The magazine catch that's in there now, wriggles around noticeably more than the magazine catch on my S&W 15T. It's an aftermarket catch, though. I'll replace it with a mil-std one and see if that helps. Right now, Magpuls and std. magazines will fall from the receiver with a firm pull.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 06-12-10 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    This will eventually lead to some cracked parts. Check your bolt catch.
    TNVC
    Director of Operations & Product Development
    www.TNVC.com