Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 vs. G3 Magazine System in AR Platform

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

AR-10 vs. G3 Magazine System in AR Platform

I have the opportunity to build a 7.62/.308 AR platform. I have discovered there are 3 different style lowers: Armalite AR-10, DPMS and DPMS G3. I have pretty much ruled out the Armalite since they are outlawed in CA and the matching uppers are more difficult to procure and more expensive, not to mention the lower parts kits are as well, whereas the DPMS's both use AR15 lower kits and the uppers are more readily available and cheaper...

Phase 1 complete...DPMS is a go. Now for phase 2...within the DPMS lowers there is the standard AR10 mag version and then there is the version that takes the old HK G3 magazines. I have found G3 mags for as low as $2 a piece which is very appealing to me. But for some reason, this seems too good to be true. Any thoughts on this? I'm sure if I get the G3 version, I won't be able to use the Magpul P-mags which I love in my AR15...

let's get some feedback on this. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've moved and cleaned up the title a little.

Your gut instinct about too good to be true is correct.

You're going to have to butcher this thing anyway to be CA compliant aren't you?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I have one of the CMMG G3 lowers and it is very nice. The function have been flawless with all of the surplus mags I have found.

I have often had issues with the Stoner/DPMS style mags and the price is too high for them.

Have not had one failure using the G3 mags.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Your gut instinct about too good to be true is correct.
    Why is this?
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are more than three different types of .308 AR systems.

There are Armalite pattern lowers that are off the list.

Both the Armalite and DPMS use some special lower parts but a majority of standard AR-15 parts.

The DPMS LR308 uses the KAC pattern mag while the Armalite AR-10 uses a magazine based off the M14, there is no DPMS that takes AR-10 mags.

You should check for availability of 10 round mags. All the cheap 20 round mags in the world are not going to do you any good in CA.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To make this CA compliant, it is my understanding that all I have to do is 1) not use a "black listed" receiver (which I believe disqualifies ALL armalites) and 2) install a "bullet button" which shouldn't take any modification if using the DPMS style.

I was mistaken about DPMS using AR10 mags. As for getting my hands on reliable 10 rounders, I figured if push comes to shove I would just get a case of 20's and legally and perminantly alter them with either my MIG, solder or epoxy...not the ideal situation, however, legal and effective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    To make this CA compliant, it is my understanding that all I have to do is 1) not use a "black listed" receiver (which I believe disqualifies ALL armalites) and 2) install a "bullet button" which shouldn't take any modification if using the DPMS style.

I was mistaken about DPMS using AR10 mags. As for getting my hands on reliable 10 rounders, I figured if push comes to shove I would just get a case of 20's and legally and perminantly alter them with either my MIG, solder or epoxy...not the ideal situation, however, legal and effective.
    You can try these. Made with "Gun stupid" states in mind.

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=382
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Aero Precision makes an Armalite (licensed?) clone of the AR-10T frame not on the California list.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Is the AR-10 design better than the DPMS? Advantages/disadvantages?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    Is the AR-10 design better than the DPMS? Advantages/disadvantages?
    I would say that the KAC/DPMS/LMT/etc. pattern mags and rifles are more "standard" than Armalite or any others. PMags are available in the KAC pattern and are way cheaper than any other mags and probably way more reliable. Only some uppers and lowers are compatible and there are a lot of different receiver/barrel nut threads and barrel/flash suppressor threads. Make sure you get a rifle that is compatible with what handguard and muzzle attachment you are getting or will want later.
    Dustin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast