Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 vs. G3 Magazine System in AR Platform

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Your gut instinct about too good to be true is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Why is this?
    bump with this question again....
    Last edited by 99HMC4; 06-16-10 at 10:35.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was looking at this maybe for one of my personal buids...
    http://shop.si-defense.com/SI_Defens...08%20ms-g3.htm
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    bump with this question again....
    Not Templar but I do remember reading that magazines adapted from none rotating bolts rifles fal,and G-3 are not easily adaptable to operate from rotating bolt rifles AR-10.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    With regards to magazines, my experience with the Armalite magazines has been great. The 20 and 25 round AR-10 mags I own all run and have yet to show any issues.

As for the CA issues, I'm not familiar with how CA state law reads but I do know there are guys in CA using AR-10 systems legally.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Not Templar but I do remember reading that magazines adapted from none rotating bolts rifles fal,and G-3 are not easily adaptable to operate from rotating bolt rifles AR-10.
    I would really like to know more about any issues people have had when using this set up.....
    FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What is the difference between the KAC and AR-10 magazine system? What do KAC mags run and likewise AR-10's? Which is more reliable? As it stands now, I am starting to lean very far away from the G3 system...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    What is the difference between the KAC and AR-10 magazine system? What do KAC mags run and likewise AR-10's? Which is more reliable? As it stands now, I am starting to lean very far away from the G3 system...
    Ar-10 magazines are modified M-14 magazines. The Brits just adopted the LMT .308 which uses the KAC pattern magazines as well as the US Army's M110 also uses the KAC pattern magazines. Magpul also makes a .308 P-mag in the KAC /DPMS pattern.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Ar-10 magazines are modified M-14 magazines. The Brits just adopted the LMT .308 which uses the KAC pattern magazines as well as the US Army's M110 also uses the KAC pattern magazines. Magpul also makes a .308 P-mag in the KAC /DPMS pattern.
    Modified? How modified? Would I not be able to switch the same mags between the AR-10 and an M1A?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    Modified? How modified? Would I not be able to switch the same mags between the AR-10 and an M1A?

No, you would not. Armalite used to use modified M14 magazines during the AWB. They knocked the front locking lug off, and made a separate cut for the new lock up.

When the AWB went away, they came out with their own proprietary magazine system.

As far as the G3 mag lowers, I may have been a little too negative, however I had heard through the grape vine that they were problematic, especially the CMMG lowers that were being brought out last year.

The Finns used G3 magazines that they modified for use in some of their commercial Valmet M78's in 7.62 NATO, so it's possible, but I honestly don't trust an AR lower designed for them.

Which is a damn shame, since the mags are so damn inexpensive.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I have not had any problems with the G3 mag lowers. I was in on the testing on the first ones out there and we worked all of the bugs out.

I have a rifle on this platform that has run 100% with 3000 rounds so far. Never had a DPMS or KAC rifle do that. If you do not have a G3 upper you can modify the DPMS upper to work with the G3 mags.

This is the modification: http://www.cmmginc.com/Downloadable_...S-MK-8_Mod.pdf

G3 Mags are the cheapest out there, we bought 500 of them for .97 cents ea. shipped last year and 95% of them were brand new never used in the HK factory wrapper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast