Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp 185gr v 230 defensive ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

45 acp 185gr v 230 defensive ammo

So with modern factory 45 acp hollow points, what is the prefered bullet weight?
    185gr or 230gr

This would be from 4-4.5" barrels.

Advantages for one over the other?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer 230 ranger t, or hst. The only 185 I would use is the barnes xpb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personal thoughts, I use 230gr standard pressure JHP. Though quality JHP from Winchester, Speer, and Federal are generally loaded a little on the hot side in my experience, it can generally mean that readily available ball ammo can be used for practice without any, or little, change in POI from practice to defensive ammo. I generally load Ranger T or Gold Dot in my 1911 in 230gr for this reason. The only thing that 185gr has going for it is that it is generally faster. That said, the Barnes all copper rounds are the exception to the rule since being all copper they are going to be lighter weight regardless, all other thigns being equal and I would not have an issue carrying them, other than cost.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Heavier weight generally gives better penetration. My department has had great success with the 230 HST.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Barns are the only 185s on "the list". Bullet is what matters, if you want to be technical, not weight. However, most of the best 45 rounds are 230gr. Generally, you want the heaviest rounds for a given caliber.

Advantage of heavier ammo is actually penetrating deep enough to do what it needs to in non-ideal conditions, less deflection through barriers, and better powder efficiency through short bbls.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-07-14 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MH64 View Post
    So with modern factory 45 acp hollow points, what is the prefered bullet weight?
    185gr or 230gr

This would be from 4-4.5" barrels.

Advantages for one over the other?
    MH64, private message sent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the new generation of hollow points they work well in full size 4.5-5 inch barrels, and even in the sub compact 3 inch barrels.

Ranger t/hst/gold dot all expand out of my g30 just as well as they did in my full size 1911. I would stick with the 230s, because most of the loads on docgkrs list are 230. Plus 45acp, and a 230 grain projectiles just go together.

The only problem with the 45 acp defense loads is there price. They cost over a hundred dollars more a case than most 9 or 40 loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    With the new generation of hollow points they work well in full size 4.5-5 inch barrels, and even in the sub compact 3 inch barrels.

Ranger t/hst/gold dot all expand out of my g30 just as well as they did in my full size 1911. I would stick with the 230s, because most of the loads on docgkrs list are 230. Plus 45acp, and a 230 grain projectiles just go together.

The only problem with the 45 acp defense loads is there price. They cost over a hundred dollars more a case than most 9 or 40 loads.
    Did anyone ever test the 160gr Barnes X bullet in 45? Wasn't it marketed as a short bbl specific ammunition?
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Did anyone ever test the 160gr Barnes X bullet in 45? Wasn't it marketed as a short bbl specific ammunition?
    Is this it? http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Bal...0gr_TAC-XP.pdf

The XPB? DocGKR did here, a pretty good read: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...HST-as-control

I don't know if these are the same or not. X, tac-X, bpx... are these all names for the same bullet or different ones?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-08-14 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    If one were to choose the 185 grain 45 ACP, wouldn't it better to go to the 40S&W 180 grain? More rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast