Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: trying to decide on buying a .22lr?

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of buying one at big5 sporting goods store. How else can you tell if it's the newest version other than the blue spring? On big5's website it said it maybe from an earlier model. Can you tell how it would look on the outside? S&W

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    The S&W is almost all plastic but it is the only one that operates like a real AR. I've joked that the flash hider needs to be painted orange because it feels like a toy. That said, it is a great trainer, plinker, even a small game getter if needed. Plenty accurate and if you get one of the current ones with the blue springs in it (hammer and recoil spring) it should run flawlessly.

I changed out my trigger with a standard AR trigger and possibly induced the problems I had. Sent it off to S&W and they changed the hammer spring to the lighter blue one as well as the recoil spring and it has been perfect since.

I'd buy another one and may.

No experience with the Colt licensed model, it's not built by Colt just licensed. I don't think the bolt catch works and maybe another issue but again I have no experience with one but why train with something that doesn't operate the same?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul45 View Post
    EASY! I already mentioned the bolt release. From your comment, you only shoot semi-auto. It works close to full auto.

Actually, I qualify with a burst M4 on a regular basis, thanks. The fact remains, to go from safe to semi, in the Colt .22, you must rotate the safety to the "burst/Auto" position, not the semi.
    This is going to cause issues, if your using the .22 as a trainer for the real thing.

That coupled with the non functioning bolt release/catch, means it doesn't function like an M4.

From what i understand, it doesn't break down like one either.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    Actually, I qualify with a burst M4 on a regular basis, thanks. The fact remains, to go from safe to semi, in the Colt .22, you must rotate the safety to the "burst/Auto" position, not the semi.
    This is going to cause issues, if your using the .22 as a trainer for the real thing.

That coupled with the non functioning bolt release/catch, means it doesn't function like an M4.

From what i understand, it doesn't break down like one either.

Bob
    Doesn't sound like you have much trigger time with the Colt. Try it and then comment. I like it better than the S&W - weight, balance, looks plus I have had very good results over the last 10 months. I tried the S&W but I bought the Colt - personal decision after handling and shooting both. They are both good .22's and I have nothing against plastic. Decision was based on the feel. You should be able to shoot both until you die and they someone else can still enjoy them.
    Remember, they are both just .22's - no matter how simular to a real M4 the look / function, nothing will replace practice with the real thing. Same for .22 pistols.
    Last edited by Paul45; 06-16-10 at 22:59.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Dude this isn't my first stream crossing, and I don't need much trigger time with it.
    I picked one up at a gun show, and it felt like crap. I wanted to like it, 'cause I got a thing for the Horsey. But, regardless of it being metal, it felt cheaper then the Smith, the grip and stock felt like crap, etc etc

I read reviews, here and elsewhere. Guys like Pat Rogers gave the thumbs up to the S&W.

In the end, for what I want to use the gun for, training...it does not work. I can not practice "up" drill's, because the selector has to rotate all the way around. I can not practice reload drills, because the bolt catch is non functional.

In contrast, the Smith can utilize any AR grip or stock. The selector works just like a "real" M4, in fact you can swap in any AR trigger.

The bolt locks to the rear, and releases with the bolt catch.

It shotguns for cleaning like a real M4.

The only downside to the Smith, is weight, which, once outfitted with an EoTech and light, is not enough different from my duty gun, to make that much of a difference.

To the OP,

If, by "practice" you mean train for use with an AR/M4 type gun, I say stick with the Smith.
    The Ruger and Remington, guns are their basic models with cool guy stuff on them, and that's all good, if its not being used as a training tool, to a center-fire AR/M4

If you mean just plinking and marksmanship practice, and .22 will do.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    FIRST, I am not A DUDE!
    I am sorry that you do not like my opinions or experiences with the Colt M4 .22LR.
    Please list your preferred weapons and accessories so I do not challenge your choices again.
    I guess personal choice is no longer a freedom along with speech. These appear to be a growing issues around the world.
    Again sorry for disagreeing with you BOB!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

No opinion, dude, the fact is, the Colt .22 does not function like a centerfire AR/M4 type, period.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Again, I am not a Dude.
    I think this is the end of the discussion. My Grandfather once told me:
    Don't argue with a "MORAN", people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
    Thanks for NO opinion - just fact from a non-Colt user / owner based on others opinion.

The end!
    Last edited by Paul45; 06-17-10 at 10:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice, with the personal insults.

Pleas show me, how in fact teh Colt .22 functions just like a regular AR.

Bob

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not your buddy, friend!

Come on guy. He's not saying yours doesn't work or is not fun. Simply that the controls are different enough in operation that it's relegated to toy status as opposed to a training aid.

Feedback Score
    i'm looking toward the S&W. It's cheaper and good product for what it's worth. At least that's what i've read so far.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast