Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM 14.5 Mid Length T&E/Range Report

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nice Day 2 update. As pathetic as it is to admit, I've never once fired match ammo, or anything more expensive than PMC and Fiocchi 55gr FMJs, out of my ARs. I want to see how accurate my BCM guns are, and experience tight 5-10 round groups without those 1 or 2 rounds that impact an inch or two away from the rest of the pack, but I simply can't stomach the prices of that shit. Ammo's already expensive enough, and those 69gr-77gr match loads are insanely high!

Now, I know what you're probably thinking here: "Paul, you've got some high quality shit man! Aimpoint T-1s, Surefires, BCMs, SBRs, a couple silencers, a friggin' PEQ-15!! WTF dude?!?!"

But what can I say... when it comes to ammo, I'm just a straight up tight ass sumbitch

Every time I log onto the Ammunition To Go website, I always place my cursor over the over the match ammo, but just before actually clicking on it to buy it, I always say screw it and buy the Hornady 55gr training ammo instead so that I can get about twice the amount of ammo for the same price. I figure I can always get more training out of the cheaper stuff, I just won't have AS tight of groups as I'd like sometimes. Of course I very rarely shoot for groups anyways. So long as I hit the high center chest within an 8" zone, I'm very content. Even if I did buy a bunch of match ammo, I wouldn't use it most of the time for the majority of the type of training/shooting I primarily do.

But I'm not gonna lie, I would very much enjoy getting some very high quality ammo one of these days, relax and just have a good time shooting from the bench at longer ranges to see what my guns and I can achieve. Maybe I'll actually get around to doing that someday, I just always get intimidated by the high prices of the really good quality stuff.

Is there a somewhat inexpensive brand of decent quality match grade ammo out there that I could buy? And if I do decide to buy a few 20-round boxes of Black Hills or Hornady ammo, should I get my BZO with my cheaper ammo and only use the more expensive stuff once I'm actually ready to shoot for groups? Or should I use the match ammo to BZO my gun(s) beforehand?
    S/F
    Paul

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetreatHell View Post
    Nice Day 2 update. As pathetic as it is to admit, I've never once fired match ammo, or anything more expensive than PMC and Fiocchi 55gr FMJs, out of my ARs. I want to see how accurate my BCM guns are, and experience tight 5-10 round groups without those 1 or 2 rounds that impact an inch or two away from the rest of the pack, but I simply can't stomach the prices of that shit. Ammo's already expensive enough, and those 69gr-77gr match loads are insanely high!

Now, I know what you're probably thinking here: "Paul, you've got some high quality shit man! Aimpoint T-1s, Surefires, BCMs, SBRs, a couple silencers, a friggin' PEQ-15!! WTF dude?!?!"

But what can I say... when it comes to ammo, I'm just a straight up tight ass sumbitch

Every time I log onto the Ammunition To Go website, I always place my cursor over the over the match ammo, but just before actually clicking on it to buy it, I always say screw it and buy the Hornady 55gr training ammo instead so that I can get about twice the amount of ammo for the same price. I figure I can always get more training out of the cheaper stuff, I just won't have AS tight of groups as I'd like sometimes. Of course I very rarely shoot for groups anyways. So long as I hit the high center chest within an 8" zone, I'm very content. Even if I did buy a bunch of match ammo, I wouldn't use it most of the time for the majority of the type of training/shooting I primarily do.

But I'm not gonna lie, I would very much enjoy getting some very high quality ammo one of these days, relax and just have a good time shooting from the bench at longer ranges to see what my guns and I can achieve. Maybe I'll actually get around to doing that someday, I just always get intimidated by the high prices of the really good quality stuff.

Is there a somewhat inexpensive brand of decent quality match grade ammo out there that I could buy? And if I do decide to buy a few 20-round boxes of Black Hills or Hornady ammo, should I get my BZO with my cheaper ammo and only use the more expensive stuff once I'm actually ready to shoot for groups? Or should I use the match ammo to BZO my gun(s) beforehand?

You know they make Hornady training ammo with 75GR BTHP bullets right? I bought 500 rds of it from A2G, and it groups very similar to the brass cased stuff. Its quite a bit cheaper than TAP or anything like that.

I zero all my guns with my "go to ammo" which is BH Mk262, and 55GR stuff is usually pretty close in impact. I only shoot a couple hundred rounds of match ammo a month anyways, and never really through anything but my Stealth or Mk12. Its kind of a waste in other guns except in SHTF unless you just want to see what it can do with good stuff.

That 1k YRD range is supposed to be opening middle of next month now...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Here is a crappy pic of the configuration we had set up. The scope is a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M1 with illuminated reticle in a GG&G scope mount. The bipod is a Harris bipod with an ADM throw lever mount.

Attachment 5383

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    should I get my BZO with my cheaper ammo and only use the more expensive stuff once I'm actually ready to shoot for groups? Or should I use the match ammo to BZO my gun(s) beforehand?
    I BZO with what I shoot all the time... 55 grain ball ammo. Your match ammo groups may have a different POI, but the group will stand on its own.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    After reading this thread, just ordered a 14.5in Middy barrel from BCM. Had some extra parts here from another project that I had to give up on last year, so mine will be wearing a Troy 12in MRF, MBUS, EOTech 511, Surefire MB556K, and gonna run it on my SBR'd lower until I get it perm attached.

Speaking of which, I work at a machine shop(Family owned). We do all sorts of things, and was curious as to what needs done to perm attach my muzzle brake. Is soldering the brake on considered perm attaching?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I BZO with what I shoot all the time... 55 grain ball ammo. Your match ammo groups may have a different POI, but the group will stand on its own.
    Ahhh... so that's why I always see pics on here of targets with super tight 1MOA and .05MOA(-) groups several inches away from the bull. I was wondering if that was why, and it makes plenty sense to me.
    S/F
    Paul

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    You know they make Hornady training ammo with 75GR BTHP bullets right? I bought 500 rds of it from A2G, and it groups very similar to the brass cased stuff. Its quite a bit cheaper than TAP or anything like that.

That 1k YRD range is supposed to be opening middle of next month now...
    No I didn't know that. I'd never looked at the actual HP ammo section before. Thanks man! I'll be buying some of that soon!

I'll come up there sometime in the fall or after once it cools down to check out that range with you. Looking forward to it!
    S/F
    Paul

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ahhh... so that's why I always see pics on here of targets with super tight 1MOA and .05MOA(-) groups several inches away from the bull. I was wondering if that was why, and it makes plenty sense to me.
    When I shoot for groups I intentionally zero my rifle so POI is a few inches lower than POA so I am not chewing up the target, making the bullseye difficult to see.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    When I shoot for groups I intentionally zero my rifle so POI is a few inches lower than POA so I am not chewing up the target, making the bullseye difficult to see.
    If you put all the bullets in one hole, you won't chew up the bullseye so much!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you put all the bullets in one hole, you won't chew up the bullseye so much!
    Zing! You got me.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast