Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Dream Rifle

I might be coming into money to use, and was thinking about my dream rifle, tell me what you guys think???

Trying to do a build with the least amount of batteries, but not too heavy of a setup.

DD rifle with 14.5 inch lite barrel
    DD lite rails 12 inch to be in fact
    Troy flip up sights with tritium
    ACOG TA31H-G
    Trijicon RMR - for the the close stuff
    All La Rue mounts
    Sure fire X-300
    magpul UBR Stock
    with several dozen mags and 3k worth of rounds. And the training course also.

Was pricing this out and wow over $4k just for the hardware, not the ammo and mags.

Anybody interested in a Ducati for trade (ROFL)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has gotten to be an expensive hobby.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Im not a fan of the MagPul UBR, especially on a light weight build. Too heavy, doesn't have the enhanced cheek weld that either the SOPMOD or the MagPul ACS has. On-top of that it is really expensive. I would go with the MagPul ACS instead.

I would also suggest a middy gas system 14.5" barrel instead of the carbine gas system on the DD. BCM has their 14.5" middy uppers available with the DD 12.0 Lite rail installed: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...14%20ddl12.htm
    Last edited by nickdrak; 06-23-10 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Seems like you're on the right track. What is the intended purpose of this weapon system?

On a shorty, I wouldn't go for the UBR. If you're planning on slapping a can on it, the weight penalty might help to even her out; if not, take Nick's advice.

The ACS has better ergos, less moving parts, and has onboard storage that serves to do something rather than hold foam ear plugs and a boresnake.

If you're going to mount a RDS as a backup, be sure to mount it in an offset mount like the TNVC MURLM:

http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_moounts_rings/murlm.html

This way you don't have to have a chin-weld to run your backup.

Seems like a good setup to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Purpose of rifle...

Just overall have a good tool, for the most of the time.

That's it for the moment.

Won't be kicking in doors, won't be jumping out of a plane into the water, and popping out like frogmen.

Figured it would be a true all purpose medium range tool, that will be reliable, for any situation.

Cause if I take it any further, the spouse will put me in a straight jacket , and lock me up after she see's this config.

Cause how many are enough???? I've always been told "Just one more!!!!" was the answer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Im not a fan of the MagPul UBR, especially on a light weight build. Too heavy, doesn't have the enhanced cheek weld that either the SOPMOD or the MagPul ACS has. On-top of that it is really expensive. I would go with the MagPul ACS instead.

I would also suggest a middy gas system 14.5" barrel instead of the carbine gas system on the DD. BCM has their 14.5" middy uppers available with the DD 12.0 Lite rail installed: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...14%20ddl12.htm
    I really like the UBR, especially on lighter builds, it just keeps all the weight in the rear so that one-handing the gun doesn't turn into a curling session, but ymmv. For an overall light weight build? No, but if you're wanting a gun that's just plain "nice", the UBR has a place, even with lightweight uppers.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What Ducati are you looking to get rid of?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ...if i had stupid throw down money, I would Larue / optic my M4 to the nutz for any and every application that blew up my dress.

thermal would be fun too.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    For me:

BCM 14.5" midweight light barrel (when its available)
    Pinned PWS comp/hider
    Troy Vtac Extreme or DD 12" lightweight.
    Troy sights front and rear.
    MOE grip (black)
    SOPMOD OR Standard M4 (If I go ultra light for this build - Will try the M4 first since I have one lying around)
    Aimpoint T-1 in Larue Mount
    TLR-3 light mounted in front of the Front BUIS
    Likely a Tango Down Stubby
    Magpul BAD lever
    Last edited by jasonhgross; 06-24-10 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

So It got built

Here it is, kind of little different from what I started with due to some funding issues.

Just got it back from the gunsmith yesterday, after pinning and welding. here are the specs.

14.5 inch barrel DD M4 profile carbine length
    12 inch DD Lite rail
    Shaved down FSB pinned
    DD BCG
    DD LPK
    DD upper
    DD Lower
    H1 buffer
    Vltor buffer tube
    Troy BUI's HK style
    Magpul ACS stock
    Vltor flashlight mount
    Surefire E2D had extra
    A2 grip cause my paws are pretty small
    Trijicon ACOG TA31H-G
    Larue RCO mount

Total weight without optics 7.1 pounds.

And the pics. Want to say thanks to Grant and his wife at G&R tactical for the scope, and a bunch of the other parts on the rifle. They are top notch. Here are the pics. Sorry about them not being so good, but you get the point.

Now got to go out and shoot her.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle man. Does the position of the E2D work for you at the six? Interesting setup as well with the rear buis.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast