Thread: OlyArms 22-upper (somebody had to)

Feedback Score

OlyArms 22-upper (somebody had to)

Earlier this year I bought an Olympic Arms Partner 22 upper from Midway USA. I wanted a dedicated upper that closely replicated the A2 style carbine upper I had already.

I had to get the tools out straight away because the Oly upper receiver lugs didn't quite match the pin spacing of my Stag Arms lower. I enlarged the hole through the lug for the takedown pin just enough to get the upper to mount onto the lower. I also switched to a DPMS hammer so there was no notch to interfere with the 22 bolt.

For a while the mean rounds between failure was dismal.

Problem #1 they put a phosphate finish on all the internals. The surfaces hold onto the waxy fouling generated by 22s and bog down the kit. Polish everything (breech, bolt, firing pin, rail) to minimize the build-up of crud where parts contact each other.

Problem #2 the firing pin travel is too limited. Obviously they want to keep the end of the pin from peening the breech. The pin was not making a deep enough impression to reliably fire the ammo. I relieved the shoulder on the firing pin to allow more travel but not so much that the tip could go beyond the impact face of the bolt.

Problem #3 The headspace was a bit too generous which contributed to the light strike issue. Since the mouth of the chamber is chamfered, the rim can sit pretty deep in the breech.
    To fix the headspace, I ground some material off the impact face of the bolt and polished the bolt and breech faces.

Problem #4 The bolt interfered with the BDM magazines. I had to relieve a spot on the underside of the bolt and soften the leading corners of the rail where it meets the bolt face. The corners when sharp were marking up the feed ramp that's built into the magazines.

Problem #5 There is a wire component of the bolt called a cartridge retainer. It is supposed to work opposite of the extractor and keep the shell on the bolt face until the ejector can kick it clear. The one that came with the upper didn't do this very well and made manual extraction troublesome. I mothballed the original and bent up a piece of music wire into a similar part but positioned the bend so it would keep the shell where its supposed to. I had to reshape my replacement wire several times to get it to work properly but it really does the job now.

Problem #6 The extractor was not grabbing some of the shells. Not knowing what would run this upper I fired some ammo that didn't even cycle the bolt. Manually retracting the bolt via the charging handle wasn't always effective at clearing the chamber. The extractor was sharp enough but where the extractor cut met the chamber, it wasn't blended well enough to allow the extractor to really grab the rim. A few careful licks from a needle file at the extractor cut put this right.

Problem #7 The M261 BDM magazines that work with this upper have an integral feed ramp that only works with some bullet profiles. The Winchester 555 hollowpoints would nose down and snag inside the magazine. Reshaping the feedramp (on each magazine) seemed to be the best way get a smooth transition to the mouth of the chamber. No more nose down or nose high jams.

So after all that, the upper can handle Federal Bulk (works great), Remington Golden Bullets, Win 555 (sometimes too weak to cycle), Win Xpert (works but fouls quickly).

These aren't the greatest photos but they should give a fair idea of what's going on. Some of the notes are redundant but shown from different angles:

Feedback Score
    Seems like it would have been easier to just get some metal at the junk yard and a dremel and make it yourself.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    "After which, it ran flawlessly...."

Sweet baby Jebus, I do admire both your persistence and engineering skills. Perhaps Olympic Arms could hire you to help them with product improvement? You certainly seem to have the needed ideas.

Wildcat, this post is not a shot at you. Frankly, I am damn impressed at what you achieved. You took a burning bag of poo, and turned it into a firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Problem #6 The extractor was not grabbing some of the shells. Not knowing what would run this upper I fired some ammo that didn't even cycle the bolt. Manually retracting the bolt via the charging handle wasn't always effective at clearing the chamber. The extractor was sharp enough but where the extractor cut met the chamber, it wasn't blended well enough to allow the extractor to really grab the rim. A few careful licks from a needle file at the extractor cut put this right.

Thanks for the post. I have been running my CMMG dedicated unit for about 8 months now. All in all it has been a great rifle, much better reliability that what you have seemed to suffer from, but it still has issues extracting live rounds. I believe this is a problem with all Ciener based .22LR units. I have thought about doing exactly what you have done with the chamber but have been a little reluctant.
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Classic Olympic Arms SUCKAGE!!

Great write up though!!

Feedback Score
    I have to agree with SeriousStudent. I'm not very impressed with the Oly upper, but I admire your ability to trouble-shoot its problems and come up with solutions to make it work. I'm afraid it would have been a hopeless pile of junk if I would have tackled it. Good Job!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rman43 View Post
    I have to agree with SeriousStudent. I'm not very impressed with the Oly upper....
    Believe me, I'm not that impressed (not favorably anyway) with it in raw form either. That is primarily the reason I relayed the experience.
    When a situation gets to the point that -I- pull out a camera and start taking photos it must be pretty involved; because I'm no shutterbug.

Sending the upper to OA and asking them to fix it would not have resolved some of these issues. Honestly, parts of the bolt group are no longer to Olympic Arms specs in several places now. There were some other minor annoyances that required attention but what I posted are the basics of what it took to get this one running. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

For a while, I was using the kit to practice carbine to pistol transitions. When the upper failed, I'd continue to engage the target(s) using a handgun and then sort out the jam. Lately, the sidearm has been spending a lot more time in the holster.

Feedback Score
    These .22 uppers can be a real trial at times. I have a Tac Sol M4 and an LT upper. Both were great until I decided I wanted a better trigger than the mil-spec ones in my lowers. That opened up a whole new can of worms that took some time to resolve. I was pretty lucky though - the manufacturer fixed one of them for me and the other I got to work by trying 3 different after market triggers. I'm afraid I don't have your trouble-shooting skills. I see a lot of people complaining about function problems with dedicated uppers of all brands. Maybe you should consider opening up a repair depot! Nordic Components begins selling dedicated uppers at midnight tonight. They have a whole new type of bolt set up - similar to a Ruger 10/22. They are reportedly VERY reliable. Time will tell... CMMG is about to release a whole new line up of conversions and dedicated uppers with lots of new innovations. The .22 AR business must be good.

Tom