Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This can't be good. (1911 help)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

This can't be good. (1911 help)

I have a new Sig GSR 1911, and after doing a little shooting on father’s day I noticed dents on most of the casings...
    I was shooting 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230gr FMJ.
    Does anyone have any insight on what might be causing this...?

Also, I recovered a few rounds and they all had dark discoloring on one side.....idk if that’s just from penetrating the dirt. Just curious if anyone knows. Thanks!!

Dane

Last edited by Norinco; 06-27-10 at 16:38.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Never mind...I think I figured it out. lol
    I think its hitting the side of the ejection port.
    Any ideas on how to fix this??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    open up your ejection port
    type 2 operator

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    open up your ejection port
    You shouldn't need to do that on any GSR. There's something odd going on, probably with your extractor. I'd give SIG-Sauer a call, and discuss the problem with them. They'll probably email you a RMA number and a pre-paid shipping label-SIG has been excellent in standing behind these guns.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    I agree your extractor needs some attention.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I will be giving Sig a call.
    I havent had any malfunctions with my GSR but i wish i would have held out for something better....
    Last edited by Norinco; 06-28-10 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    Don't be presumptively discouraged-while the GSR have been subject to a somewhat tempestuous history at times, they also can be a truly excellent 1911, and often are. I also have a Nighthawk Custom 1911, and while I'm exceptionally pleased with it, frankly my GSR operationally is on an equal footing with it-it's just as accurate, actually has a slightly better trigger pull (courtesy of the SIG Custom Shop), and SIG has stood totally behind it warranty-wise in the few instances that needed to be corrected.

Owning one, and having had the privilege of discussing GSRs generally and specifically at length with Bruce Gray, Matt McLearn, and some of the senior people at SIG-Sauer directly involved with the GSR, there are definitely two sides to the GSR story-and while there have undoubtedly been some problematic GSRs allowed into the market stream that never should have exited the factory, I think that most do quite well; I think that those produced after SIG assumed responsibility for directly producing the slides, frames and barrels themselves generally are less problematic.

However, SIG has really stepped up to the plate in standing behind these guns, and while I somewhat disagree with some of the directions in which they've chosen to go regarding the GSR, my disagreements at this point are more those of personal preference than of operational significance for the most part.

On any GSR I strongly recommend that a new owner plan for a minimum of a 500 round break-in period (which probably isn't a bad idea for any 1911-pattern pistol, or, for that matter, some of the other contemporary platforms).

On this site, on the 10-8 site, the m1911.org site, the sigforum site and on Cylinder & Slide's site (and there are others) there is some excellent guidance and tips to be found applicable to the care and feeding of the 1911. Properly assembled, broken in, and maintained, a decent GSR can hang in there with the best of 1911s and provide credible service. They often represent an exceptional value in a 1911.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-28-10 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did you try different magazines? I have heard of this issue where the case was hitting the top of the ejection port on it's way in.

How does the extractor and ejector look?
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Jon - Thanks for your input. Very informative. I plan on sending my GSR to Nighthawk for a little work after I hit about 600-700 rounds. Slide fit to frame and such...maybe I’ll be happier with my purchase after a little customizing

Marshal - I only have 2 Kimber mags and the extractor seems to be in great shape.
    Last edited by Norinco; 06-28-10 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    if all you are experiencing is a dented case but the gun is running reliably for god sakes leave it alone- do NOT take the chance that "fixing" this "problem" creates another- that case will be fine to reload with resizing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast