Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This can't be good. (1911 help)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norinco_Luv View Post
    Jon - Thanks for your input. Very informative. I plan on sending my GSR to Nighthawk for a little work after I hit about 600-700 rounds. Slide fit to frame and such...maybe I’ll be happier with my purchase after a little customizing

Marshal - I only have 2 Kimber mags and the extractor seems to be in great shape.
    I wouldn't have any hesitation about recommending Nighthawk to work on your GSR-they do excellent work. Some other smiths/outfits to consider would be Matt McLearn at M2i, who is intimately familar with the GSR, as he was one of the ramrods behind it-he offers 2 packages specifically for the GSR. Bruce Gray at Grayguns selectively works on GSRs (he prefers to examine a GSR before he'll commit to working on it, to make sure that the basic components are within such specs that his subsequent work can be guaranteed-we've been using my personal GSR as a long-term test bed for his GSR extractor), and the Springfield Custom Shop, Cylinder & Slide, and Novaks and Heirloom Precision would all be some of the ones I'd consider. You also might want to contact the SIG-Sauer Custom Shop to get a feel for what they offer specifically regarding the GSR.

I'm a bit surprised that the slide/frame need to be adjusted-my understanding is that SIG hand-laps the slides and frames, and mine is pretty smooth and tight (but then again, these guns are realistically a production line effort, with some "custom" touches added, so I can understand that there's room for improvement.

If you need any help with SIG or Nighthawk Custom, I'd be happy to pass on to you some of my contacts there.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-29-10 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks. Great info Jon. I was actually considering Novaks as well. They do beautiful work.
    Last edited by Norinco; 06-30-10 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    if all you are experiencing is a dented case but the gun is running reliably for god sakes leave it alone- do NOT take the chance that "fixing" this "problem" creates another- that case will be fine to reload with resizing.

Personally, if I spend my hard-earned money on something (especially something as expensive as a Sig) I want flawless performance. That’s just how I see it.

Feedback Score
    My 1911 does the same thing with some loads. I really think it's no big deal personally. Thousands of rounds downrange and shes still going strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12