Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul CTR vs. MOE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for the price of a CTR id rather move to the ACS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    90-95% of shooters would not know the difference in a blind test regardless of whether they say they would or not (while actively shooting). I buy MOE only because it does not make a difference to ME. I say get you a CTR and later a MOE. From then on, you will know what works for YOU.
    Last edited by Zeus; 06-28-10 at 08:43.
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    +1 MOE.....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The MOE stock was designed to tighter tolerances due to the lack of a friction lock so it will feel tighter on a wider range of receiver extensions. If you need the QD function then go with a CTR, if not the MOE stock is a good choice.
    Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have owned both, and going forward I only buy MOE. I do not have a need for the QD sling swivel and would only buy a CTR if I did. I find the concern over "stock wobble" to be completely unnoticeable in actual shooting, and the MOE is tighter than the standard M4 stock anyway. If I need a stock that locks up 100% I use the UBR.
    I thought about the UBR- I kind of like it, but seems a little large .... And a bit on the expensive side.

Well, that's the thing- even my standard M4 stock doesn't wobble to badly once I press it against my shoulder. It just seems like the MOE is kind of the slightly better option. I know I'm probably just nitpicking, but relying off internet ordering, I've got to be completely sure one way or the other.

I have multiples of both and when I'm actually shooting, I can never tell the difference between the two types. Different story when I'm just fingerbanging the rifles. I stick to the MOE now to save money and use LMT receiver extensions to keep the fit on the tight side.
    I noticed somebody else was going to mount an MOE on a BCM. That was my next question- Aside from LMT extensions, will they work just as well on something from BCM or Daniel Defense? As my next rifle will be one of those...

Personally I really like the CTR for the friction lock. It is rock-solid still with it engaged. Also the CTR has a QD swivel mount on it - not sure how important that is to you. But in the end: your build, your money, your preference.
    The QD mount is a nice extra feature. I'm kind of liking the QD at the base of the extension, but it would be nice to have if I find otherwise. Other than that, it's not a big deal.
    Price is an issue for me- however if the cheaper item turns out to be the way to go, great- but if I have to dish out a few extra dollars, than I will.

Feedback Score
    I like the CTR, for the lock, because I view these stocks more as adjustable LOP stocks (set it, and forget it), rather than as collapsible stocks. Some might say that I'm trying to use the CTR in the UBR's role, and to that, I guess I'd say they're very right. I like the UBR, in concept, but it's a little heavy, and the proprietary buffer tube turns me off somehow.

What I really like about the MOE stock is that they eliminated the QD point at the rear of the stock (I prefer to use the vertical slot at the rear of the stock). If the QD were eliminated from the CTR, I'd declare it the perfect carbine stock (for me).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I like the CTR, for the lock, because I view these stocks more as adjustable LOP stocks (set it, and forget it), rather than as collapsible stocks. Some might say that I'm trying to use the CTR in the UBR's role, and to that, I guess I'd say they're very right. I like the UBR, in concept, but it's a little heavy, and the proprietary buffer tube turns me off somehow.

What I really like about the MOE stock is that they eliminated the QD point at the rear of the stock (I prefer to use the vertical slot at the rear of the stock). If the QD were eliminated from the CTR, I'd declare it the perfect carbine stock (for me).
    I agree with Seraph in all but one thing: I don't see how eliminating the QD point is going to make the CTR a better stock unless it is important to you to knock $20 off the price. Otherwise, I think he is right on.

If you want a Magpul stock on the "light" side, the CTR is the best choice. When you don't want a sling (e.g., when it gets tangled in your cleaning vise, when doing work on the carbine), it is an easy job to remove. When you are shouldering the carbine and get ever so slightly annoyed with the rattle, then the friction lock eliminates this.

What I appreciate about the features is that these little frustrations are cumulative, and while they are small in each instance, add up over time. The CTR just takes the little problems and eliminates them.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    I agree that eliminating the QD wouldn't make the CTR better, overall. I just meant that it would make it a tiny bit better FOR ME, because I prefer to use the vertical slot (the QD intrudes on the slot, just a tiny bit, providing one of the very minor annoyances you cited - and I'll admit that it's truly trivial, posing no functional impediment whatsoever). I'm certainly not going to stop using CTR's over it, in any case. Knocking $20 off the price by eliminating the QD would be very cool by me, though (I imagine it would really be more like $5 or $7).
    Last edited by Seraph; 06-28-10 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's a past thread about the two stocks.

When I posted my thoughts in that thread, I only owned MOE stocks. I now own both MOE and CTR stocks and continue to use them both. Count me in the camp of, "The CTR is only worth it if you will really use the QD socket."

My MOE stocks are plenty tight on my BCM receiver extensions. As I note in that previous thread, my MOE stocks have no rotational or sideways play on BCM milspec receiver extensions. The tiny amount of forward/backward play that I am able to get out of them is only noticeable when fingerbanging the weapons, as spam so eloquently puts it. I cannot perceive it during any kind of shooting, even if I'm just calmly shooting from the bench.

Feedback Score
    Every AR I have seen with the CTR the friction lock was never locked, so I don't see why they bought one, they don't use the friction lock anyway. I have a mil-spec MOE on an Armalite mil-spec receiver extention, it wobbles a little, but it doesn't bother me, I'm sure it wouldn't move at all on an LMT tube and such.
    Last edited by Artiz; 06-28-10 at 14:11.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast