Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Magpul CTR vs. MOE

Feedback Score
    CTR for me. Got 'em on 2 ARs.

I like and use both the lock and QD mount.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If it's that close, tells me it's a matter of personal preference. Get either one and TRY it for yourself!
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm considering both of them. I just got a very short SBR upper and want something smaller than the SOPMOD on my LMT lower. The price of the MOE looks good, but I was surprised to see the CTR is a little lighter, according to Magpuls website.

The determining factor in which one I try first may be the timing of the first one I find a good deal on in the EE. Seems like they will both meet my needs.
    Last edited by DWood; 07-02-10 at 05:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    I'm considering both of them. I just got a very short SBR upper and want something smaller than the SOPMOD on my LMT lower. The price of the MOE looks good, but I was surprised to see the CTR is a little lighter, according to Magpuls website.
    The website states that the CTR milspec is 0.04 lbs lighter than the MOE; but, the paper catalog states the opposite. No real difference?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    The website states that the CTR milspec is 0.04 lbs lighter than the MOE; but, the paper catalog states the opposite. No real difference?
    Obviously, the MOE must be a little lighter than the CTR, due to the omission of the lock lever, and its accompanying little metal bits.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a picture somewhere of the two compared on the same scale the same day. I'll try to find it.

IIRC the different colors can have different densities and weigh different amounts, so you have to weigh identical colors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    The Lock.......... better to have and not need , than to need and not have.

Burt Gummer........ All American Hero.
    Well said. I prefer to have the options that the CTR gives.
    BTW, I've owned both.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Zulu Tango Foxtrot

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    All fantastic answers so far...and thanks a lot for the info...

But tell me this...does the CTR require an extra button push/release to move the stock if it in is the locked state?
    i.e. is the MOE an over-all faster functioning stock? with just the one tab to lift?

Reason I ask is because my gun is mainly used for plinking around my deer lease. And I like shooting at different ranges, different situations, different set ups, and in tight brush sometimes too if a rabbit runs into that that thick stuff. Plus, I'm in and out of the truck a lot with it too (I maybe even shot it out of the window once or twice with the stock fully collapsed)(truck was stopped, don't flame me). So anyways, the current stock on my AR is contstantly being adjusted. in and out. I won't use the QD sling attachment, and I don't think a slight wobble will be a big prob as I am already cool with my S&W original carbine stock being a little wobbly. As long as it doesn't collapse in on recoil...had that happen a couple times and had to adjust the pin that locks it...it's behaved better since.

Anyways...should I lean towards the MOE? I just think the CTR, if carried in a locked position and requiring flipping two tabs could slow me down by a second...which is unacceptable

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't own either, but I believe that the adjustment lever on the CTR also deactivates the friction lock when you press down on it to adjust the length. You'll just have to push the friction lock back down afterwards.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit05 View Post
    I don't own either, but I believe that the adjustment lever on the CTR also deactivates the friction lock when you press down on it to adjust the length. You'll just have to push the friction lock back down afterwards.
    Correct! As soon as you depress the button to make an adjustment to the stock, it automatically disables the friction lock.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345