Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier Reticles 1.1-8

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The current (GenIII) variant of the USMC SSDS, aka the M8541A, is all PR, and I think it's all the better for it.

The 1.1-8x is of the same general quality, and the glass is excellent. Very positive adjustment detents on the turrets, and not needing a tool to float them is a nice feature. The construction is almost robust enough to call them "armored." Very tough, bigger than its counterparts but not ridiculously so, though that's open to interpretation.

The SSDS is being used on DM platforms, which is nice from a sourcing perspective, but the GenII Mil-Dot reticle is sorta busy for DM use. I could see the 1.1-8x, with a less busy reticle, making for a fantastic DM optic.

It's gonna be spendy....!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller
    If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    So I've been doing a lot of reading lately about FFP and SFP, the differences, and pros and cons of each in different scenarios. The idea of the reticle being in both focal planes and changing based on magnification just hurts my head to think about though. I looked at Premier Reticles pdf's but it didn't go in to much depth on how this works. Do you guys know of any other good documentation on how this works or can one of you perhaps explain it in a way that doesn't cause my brain to start bleeding? Thanks
    Jim,

How do you feel about the Horus reticles then, if the Mil dot can get busy?

I assume you've used the S&B, Premier and Leupold contenders for the new 1-8 optics. They all seem similar, but it seems the biggest advantage the Leupold has is its turrets with there no-move till you squeeze feature- would you say that's true- or is it something else that seems to make the Leupold the one to beat?

Just trying to figure out if it would be better to just go with a 1.8-10USO or a NIghtforce 2-10 and a T-1 offset. The first way is about the same cash, the second is cheaper.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I should have clarified that the "busy" angle I mentioned is based on long-gun guys and their feedback on the GenII mil-dot as applied to a DM role. The optic exceeds the needs of the role, but that's not automatically bad. Training issue.

Personal application only, I have no real problem using Horus reticles because I spawned from the LAR side of the house (25mm chain gun)....if you've never seen the pre-ITSS LAV-25 day and thermal sights, they're a stadiametric nightmare to most. Ergo, I'm a HUGE fan of the H37 and especially the H70 reticles offered by Horus. All the true DM employment I've seen (admittedly limited), the onus is on using holds instead of doping, so having more references can be helpful if one can get past how it can degrade general observation. I like them, but see their drawbacks, especially for those that may fall in on them after having learned up on simpler patterns.

If one is never in a hurry to re-dope, I like the idea of semi-locking turrets, but you'd have to be pretty consumed with worry about keeping whatever your last adjustment was in place. Not the kind of thing I'd see as a deal-breaker when choosing between one device or another. Call it more of a "hmmmm, that's sorta clever" instead of "GOTTA have THAT!"
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12