Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M4C/VICKERS Carbine AAR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

M4C/VICKERS Carbine AAR

This was the very first M4Carbine training class with Larry Vickers www.vickerstactical.com as the instructor. The facility used was GTA http://www.gta.dynalias.org/ and we would like to thank Bill B. for letting hold the class there!

Since this was a basic carbine class, we saw a lot of first time shooters. One of the shooters commented to me that about the first couple hours on the first day were “basic carbine” and then LAV immediately went to intermediate level. This was an eye opener for many to say the least. Larry has a very good ability at judging the speed at which the class could move. This is an important skill to have when dealing with new shooters.

The importance of accuracy was stressed and all of the drills used were done so to help the shooter bring their skills up to speed quickly. Because of this, the shooters abilities grew rapidly and there was a noticeable improvement from one day to the next. It is fantastic to watch people take LAV’s knowledge, apply it and then receive the reward for doing so.

Proper gear selection is always a big thing and LAV offered solicited and unsolicited advice on what kit is good and what is bad. This alone is worth the price of admission for many. Some shooters found out that what works great off a bench rest, doesn’t work so well during transition drills, moving and shooting or prone.

For the most part, everyone’s carbines ran well. We had some trigger/hammer pins walk on a student, but no weapons went down. The majority of the students were running custom built G&R or Superior Firearms uppers. The rest were mostly Colt’s and CMMG.

On the second day of training, a special guest appeared on the range. Mr. Ken Hackathorn made a surprise visit and taught a good portion of the day. To say this was a treat for the students is an understatement. Everyone in the class was very excited to get the chance to train with Ken and he didn’t disappoint! As an added bonus, Ken brought an M1 Carbine and an AK for the students to shoot! At the end of the day, we went out to dinner as a class and Ken came along. This was probably the highlight of the day for most of the guys.

To get the opportunity to train with Ken or Larry is a great thing, but to get both of them together on the same range at the same time is simply fantastic! Thanks again Ken for taking the time to train with us.

Thanks you to all that participated in the first M4C training class and a special thanks to VLTOR, Midwest Industries, Noveske Rifleworks, and Tango Down for their support.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-04-07 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    One day....
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your hard work Grant in setting up this class and continued support during the 3-days of training.
    I learned more in this class than I could possibly have expected, and the opportunity to train under both Mr. Vickers and Mr. Hackathorn was a special treat indeed. No matter how well you shoot on the bench, shooting on the move is truly a humbling experience.

Feedback Score
    I was one of the first time carbine class folks Grant was speaking of, and it was an eye opener. A few impressions I got from the class.

Don't ever ask Larry Vickers a question you don't want to know the answer to. He will think about what you asked and then answer you, but he will pull no punches about the subject at hand if it needs to be beaten.

Larry is possbily one of the best instructors, of any discipline, I have ever worked with. He took very complicated skills and had the lion's share of the class understadning and executing them. He would take the time to walk the line and critique each shooter and their execution of the drill, then would have us move onto another skill building on the one we just learned. Very linear and logical procession of the shooting and moving skills.

GTA has a great facility for this type of class, we worked in a 50 yard pit for the first two days. Which was all we needed for almost all of the drills. THe last day we went to the 150 yardish range, which gave us room for the 180 yard walk back drill (good job Matt, and Grant.) Bill B. had done little things that make it nice to visit a facility.

Grant served several jobs for this, and did a good job of them. He was the target scoring and stapling master, which allowed we attendees to reload, rehydrate, and listen to anything that Larry might be saying, instead of playing with targets or trying to do math He also had a lunch truck come in with food for us, which was very cool since it was a long haul to the nearest food place. Oh yeah, the lunch was part of the fee. He brought water, ice and of course his huge gear knowledge.

My personal thanks go out to Joe, Barry, Bob, John, and Grant for babysitting a tall guy who was flirting with heat stroke.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Here are some pics of the class. We got some real classics with an authentic window out of a real "short bus!"

C4

Rare Sight

LAV showing the students how to "Tuck the bad guys in for a dirt nap!" (Super Dave quote)

Spending some quality time on the "short bus" and "testing LAV's skills."

Kentucky Crew with Ken & Larry
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-04-07 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    We had some trigger/hammer pins walk on a student, but no weapons went down.
    I'm told that this never occurs and there is no need for KNS pins.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    I'm told that this never occurs and there is no need for KNS pins.

LOL, who ever told you that? I have had pins walk on several of my own guns.

C4

Feedback Score
    I had a fantastic time while I was there and learned much more than I thought I was capable of. Having Larry's expert opinion on subtle changes you can make to your sling, gear setup, ect was great. The thing I learned the most was how much more pistol practice I need, and how night sights are a must. Unfortunately, I had to leave early on the third day but I look forward to more tutelage from Mr. Vickers.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Thanks for your hard work Grant in setting up this class and continued support during the 3-days of training.
    I learned more in this class than I could possibly have expected, and the opportunity to train under both Mr. Vickers and Mr. Hackathorn was a special treat indeed. No matter how well you shoot on the bench, shooting on the move is truly a humbling experience.
    You are welcome and thank you for coming!

C4

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Congrats on the class - I hope it's the first of many M4C sponsored training opportunities.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast