Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 AR

Feedback Score

5.7 AR

What kind of range and accuracy can you expect out of this caliber? Ammo is now easily obtainable and more reasonably priced. I am considering it for smaller varmints.

Feedback Score
    What does it offer for varmint hunting over a .223 40-50 gr load?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    What does it offer for varmint hunting over a .223 40-50 gr load?
    Less noise and recoil. Think of it as kind of a centerfire 22 magnum with a turbo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I am considering it for smaller varmints.
    A completely different direction, but it would be a lot easier to get a .22 Hornet or .221 Fireball bolt action from CZ, Savage, ???....

Or download .223 and specifically tailor an upper/buffer combination to run the light loads.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    To answer the question I would expect better range and accuracy than with a PS90 (~200m.). Remember its not intended to be a long range caliber.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Less noise and recoil. Think of it as kind of a centerfire 22 magnum with a turbo
    A good .223 with a muzzle brake has no pretty much no recoil or muzzle rise. With my Larue Stealth with a JKC Titan brake I can see the rounds hit the target. I see no use personally for the 5.7. But that is my opinion.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A good .223 with a muzzle brake has no pretty much no recoil or muzzle rise. With my Larue Stealth with a JKC Titan brake I can see the rounds hit the target. I see no use personally for the 5.7. But that is my opinion.
    Pat
    50 round magazine with empties dropping out the bottom? Seems like a warmed over 22 magnum, and from what I can tell much more expensive. If you want a hunter, look at a 5.45x39 when the hornady loads come out.
    Last edited by Dust; 07-08-10 at 02:41.

Feedback Score
    Once again: What kind of range and accuracy can you expect out of this caliber? Ammo is now easily obtainable and more reasonably priced. I am considering it for smaller varmints. This question does not pertain to other calibers or configurations. I would like to hear from people who have actuall trigger time with the AR 5.7.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll bet almost nobody has experience with this set-up, so,,,, I'm guessing you might have to extrapolate from the guys who use .22 Hornets, etc. for varmint shooting.

Just looking at ballistics I think you can safely say it's better than a .22mag, a bit less than the Hornet.

I have often thought that the 5.7 would be a nifty caliber to chamber in something like this;

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotary...22/models.html

for plinking at groundhogs and such. Certainly less noisy than using one of the bigger .22 centerfire rounds.

Feedback Score
    Fortier has an article on the PS90 in the June 20 edition of Shotgun News. In the article, the claimed effective range is listed as 150m.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast