Thread: Centennial 1911

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Centennial 1911

Just out of curiosity, if one were interested in purchasing a commemorative 1911 which could pull double duty as a collector's item but also as a top-notch pistol, what would be some recommendations. And let's try to keep the price below $3500, assuming there is such an animal.

I own a Springfield MC Operator but its the only 1911 in the bunch and I'd like to add another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I had $3500 to spend on a 1911 and my main focus was a collectable, my search would begin with an all original vintage Colt & close to mint as possible.

Commemoratives are a different animal & can be hit with a little more miss in the collector world.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I would want a series 70 colt worked over by a top gunsmith such as vickers,yam, harrison or burton a no frills fighting pistol..i guess you could laser engrave centenial on it

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I would buy a new in box Colt 01918 WW1 repro and send it to one of the top smiths like Heirloom Precision, John Harrison, Etc.... and have them do some minor upgrades. I am currently having a 01918 built by Steve Morrison of MARS Armament, but it's not really going to be a retro gun.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah an original 1911 (made prior to 1927) is a better idea for value. The civilian models I've seen were of very high quality/fit/finish. I carried a ca.1920 vintage one for about a year and it was a great gun. I kept it all original and just changed out the inner parts/springs for reliability reasons in case they were a bit fatigued after 80+ years.