Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a new 870P woohoo

Feedback Score

Just ordered a new 870P woohoo

I plan on taking a Louis Awerbuck shotgun class this fall and just ordered a new shotgun.

18" Remington 870P Parkerized, Black Synthetic, Improved Cylinder, 3" chamber, Rifle Sight Tritium Meprolight Night Sight, 4+1, 14" Length of Pull.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Excellent choice.

I'd recommend looking at one of the body armor/"youth" stocks from Hogue or Speedfeed with a 12.5"/13" length of pull.

Much easier to use.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    are you coming to the class here in Pittsburgh in September ?

I am thinking of attending that one. Id love to train with Awerbuck, and I just picked up a shotty on trade from a member here (870 police with knoxx stock).

My delima is that I have plenty of pistol, some carbine, and no shotgun training. But Im just not sure if the shotgun will ever fill any kind of serious role in my life.

Of course I have learned things in several classes that translated to other areas. And a more well rounded skill set cant be a bad thing....................

Feedback Score
    I gave up on 870's after a close look and feel at the 590A1 , twice the gun .

Now , send the 870 to Vang and get the magic done to the barrel , you will send me Christmas cards for life . Its worth the money .

The Vang Comp System (VCS), designed by gunsmith Hans J. Vang, is a set of modifications to shotgun barrels. The alterations to the barrel consist of lengthening the forcing cone, back-boring the barrel, and adding compensating ports. With the VCS, accuracy significantly improves, felt recoil is dramatically reduced, and muzzle rise diminishes. By lengthening the forcing cone, the pellets have a smooth flow from the chamber to the bore. This prevents the pellets from bunching up in the barrel and reduces the felt recoil. In addition, the pellets do not become as deformed and keep a more consistent shape.
    Just do it .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    are you coming to the class here in Pittsburgh in September ?
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    I plan on taking a Louis Awerbuck shotgun class this fall and just ordered a new shotgun.
    I just want the chance to take a class with Awerbuck. I too have zero training with a shotgun so it's about time I got some.

Shawn, I'm also DaveM55 on other forums.
    Last edited by NavyDavy55; 06-05-10 at 08:39.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FindCover View Post

Now , send the 870 to Vang and get the magic done to the barrel , you will send me Christmas cards for life . Its worth the money .

Just do it .
    What's that gonna run me dollar wise and turn around time?

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindCover View Post

Just do it .
    Why do you feel it's twice the gun? I'm not being rude, I'm curious. What criteria did you use? Failure rate of the parts? Non-user induced malfunctions? Performance in your work, or at a training class?

I have both, so this is not a urination contest. I'm just trying to understand why you feel that way.

To the OP - excellent choice, and I definitely agree with Templar about the shorter stock. Have a great time at Mr Awerbuck's class, he's an excellent instructor.

When you get a chance, may I respectfully suggest a Surefire light for it? Like the 618 series?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You may want to also look into the new buckshot rounds with the Flite-Control wads. A lot of people are very impressed with their performance out of a stock barrel.

If you do some Googling, you can see reviews with pictures. A pretty fair number of people are saving some money on a forcing cone job, and switching ammo.

http://www.federalpremium.com/hunter...tecontrol.aspx

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...gauge-buckshot

Hans is a great guy, and I have a bunch of his gear. His mag extensions are rock solid, and I like his followers a lot, too.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    I just want the chance to take a class with Awerbuck. I too have zero training with a shotgun so it's about time I got some.

Shawn, I'm also DaveM55 on other forums.
    Dave !!! good to see you (see?) !

I dont want to stray off topic, but different screen names on different boards?

yes, every day it looks more like I'll take that class. If I dont take it I may assist on the range. So either way, it will be good to see you there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Excellent choice.

I'd recommend looking at one of the body armor/"youth" stocks from Hogue or Speedfeed with a 12.5"/13" length of pull.

Much easier to use.
    I agree. I learned the same thing from taking an Awerbuck class in 2001.

Some things I remember from the class in terms of preparations:

1. You might want to consider a sling. It comes in handy during the class.
    2. A dedicated weaponlight makes things easier but a couple of guys (myself included) made it through the class with just handheld surefires.
    3. Some people suggest a wussy pad for the slug segment of training. I used one but discovered I did better without one.
    4. Re: Ammo. I knew nothing about shotguns and ammo before the class so I bought the cheapest birdshot they had at Turners. It was gray hulled Winchester Super Handicap and it kicked a lot harder than Federal 00 Buck. Turns out it had a heavier payload and higher velocity than the buckshot loads I had.
    5. It would be good to stick to slugs in the 1 oz weight range too. The slugs I got were 1 1/4 oz and they were bruisers compared to the 1oz stuff that most everyone else was shooting.
    6. I strongly suggest that you brown bag your lunch. Louis tends to stay at the range during lunch breaks and that is always a good time to either pick his brains or just absorb whatever discussions ensue at that time. If there are other trainers attending the class as students, the exchanges can be very rich.
    7. Suncreen and water are your best friends.

Hope you can take the class. I vividly remember mine and it was the best money I spent on anything shotgun related.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast