Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 180gr Partition Gold .357 Alternatives?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Winchester 180gr Partition Gold .357 Alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The XPB's should also be a good .357 projectile--I'll see if we can shoot some Barnes .357 Mag loads next gel test.
    Unfortunately it appears from the MidwayUSA website that the fine (S357P) Winchester 180gr Partition Gold .357 magnum ammo has been discontinued by the manufacturer

see link here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=534806

Is the (P357XB1) Federal Premium Vital-Shok 140 Grain Barnes XPB Hollow Point our best alternative for self defense use in a 4" or more .357 magnum revolver? Or maybe the Hornady LEVERevolution 140 Grain Flex Tip, or the trusty old (X357SHP) Winchester 145 Grain Silvertip good choices as well for SD?
    “We didn't love freedom enough. And even more - we had no awareness of the real situation... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Feedback Score
    Do you want a 180 grain bullet like the partition gold? If so the 180gr XTP from hornady is a good 180gr bullet. Not sure if it comes in loaded ammo at this time.

Feedback Score
    Interesting question, as we have not tested .357 mag in a while. Based on results in other calibers, I suspect the XPB load will likely be acceptable. Don't know about the Hornady Flex tip from a 4". The old Silver Tip is OK.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looks like the 158 grain XTP is the heaviest loaded ammo available from Hornady. I would go with this one.

It seems most of the heavy bullets these days are plain soft points or lead cast bullets.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Interesting question, as we have not tested .357 mag in a while. Based on results in other calibers, I suspect the XPB load will likely be acceptable. Don't know about the Hornady Flex tip from a 4". The old Silver Tip is OK.
    Thanks Doc, I think I'll pick up some of the Federal .357 Barnes XPB's and see how they shoot in my S&W.

It's too bad that Winchester apparently discontinued their 180gr. Partition Gold .357 loads. It must not have been selling well enough to maintain production.
    “We didn't love freedom enough. And even more - we had no awareness of the real situation... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliakim View Post
    It's too bad that Winchester apparently discontinued their 180gr. Partition Gold .357 loads. It must not have been selling well enough to maintain production.
    I talked to folks at Nosler about the lack of service caliber ammunition using the Partition Gold projectiles. According to them, the said ammunition manufacturer decided to develop their own house-brand projectiles rather than invest in Partition Gold projectiles.

Feedback Score
    The 180 partition gold load is still on their website. Where did you hear that it was discontinued? I liked this load for hunting when I didn't have time to load my own.

Feedback Score
    Winchester still shows the load on their website...

http://www.winchester.com/Products/h...x?c=357+Magnum

Feedback Score
    I will email Paul Nowak about it...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Remington 165gr Core-Lokt might be a viable option. You'll really have to look, as I think it was discontinued. However, CDNN had truck loads of the stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast