Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A (mostly) Useless Experiment. The G19 underwater.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A (mostly) Useless Experiment. The G19 underwater.

I fired one of my G19s in a lake this weekend using WWB FMJ ammunition, and got some interesting data points - one useful, one 'who cares'.

Depth of the pistol was about 15", water depth about 4.5' - target was a 2"x8" stuck in the bottom silt and held at the top end by someone standing on the dock which was 1.5' over my head. Range was about 4 feet.

Data point 1 (the useless one): no bullets even came close to penetrating the board. They rotated and struck the board sideways, leaving bullet-shaped dents in the wood, and bounced out and were lost in the silt.

Data point 2: the first three rounds fired fine, after that the firing pin channel filled with water and began light-striking and misfiring. This continued even after I lifted the pistol out of the water and attempted to fire a new round. It took two recycles to get enough water out of the FP channel to make the pistol fire again.

Results: I never saw much need for the maritime spring cups. I am putting them in all my Glocks now. Not because I plan on doing over-the-beach insertions, but to address the problem that submerging the pistol could prevent it from firing immediately. This is not acceptable.

I was a little surprised that we couldn't get the bullets to penetrate the board even when we closed the range to about 2 feet. Same result, the bullets struck sideways and bounced out. The only perceptible difference was a slightly heavier blow transmitted to the hands of the person holding the far end of the board.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I Results: I never saw much need for the maritime spring cups. I am putting them in all my Glocks now. Not because I plan on doing over-the-beach insertions, but to address the problem that submerging the pistol could prevent it from firing immediately. This is not acceptable.

The only perceptible difference was a slightly heavier blow transmitted to the hands of the person holding the far end of the board.
    Thats the exact reason I ued maritime cups in my Glock.
    Just how was this other guy holding the board?!
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Thats the exact reason I ued maritime cups in my Glock.
    Just how was this other guy holding the board?!
    We took turns.

Picture a dock with its surface about 2.5' over water level. The board was about 8' long, and the water was about 5'ish deep. We put the board down in the water and stuck the end into the silt, and held it down by hand at the top end. It wasn't dangerous. I was firing at the board about 1.5' below the surface of the water, about 3.5'-4.0' below where he was holding it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Im sure you guys were safe. I just had a vision in my head with some redneck with a cig in his mouth (underwater) holding plywood with both hands in front of his chest yellin "Get R done! Ill let you know if you hit me!"....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Im sure you guys were safe. I just had a vision in my head with some redneck with a cig in his mouth (underwater) holding plywood with both hands in front of his chest yellin "Get R done! Ill let you know if you hit me!"....
    So, watcha tryin' to say?

Feedback Score
    My next patent: Underwater plywood body armor.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    My next patent: Underwater plywood body armor.
    There appears to be no need for it if you can stay outside of about 10' or so

Feedback Score
    Any pressure signs on the cases?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Any pressure signs on the cases?
    No cases recovered, as the gun cycled underwater and the silt is quite deep.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I might add:

The concussion is unpleasant, even with only being submersed up to mid-chest. Moving closer to the board resulted in more concussion being reflected back toward the shooter. It isn't painful, exactly, but it is not pleasant. I cannot imagine having your head underwater and trying it. Supposedly there was a group of divers on the West Coast who were trying to do some hunting underwater with G17s - I can't see that being plausible unless you had a full dry helmet. I would think that any water-to-skull contact in proximity to the shot would be VERY unpleasant indeed.

ETA: Not to mention that any range at which you could kill something, you could simply stab your intended victim with a lot less drama and aural trauma.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 06-21-10 at 14:18.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast